PDA

View Full Version : Polishing conundrum

Petal
29-07-2019, 05:41 PM
I'm trying to streamline my processes and timings and would like some advice please.

Atm, I polish the edges of 1mm thick 14mm wide ag discs using my fine sander rolls. https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Sander-Roll-Grade-600-Box-Of-10-On-2.35mm-Mandrel-Fine-Grade-prcode-999-123

Once sanded, I usually move onto my polisher, using luxi polish, blue and white, then they get tumbled for 15mins, to finish off.

Do I need to omit any of these processes, or are any of them cancelling each other out?

Thanks in advance.

CJ57
29-07-2019, 06:52 PM
I’ve never used a tumbler so this may be rubbish but do you need to tumble after polishing, is it not either or?

Petal
29-07-2019, 07:10 PM
Hi Caroline,

Thanks for your reply.

What do you use for polishing flat items Caroline?

I use my tumbler for my chainmaille daily, so tend to just put things in there without really thinking about it. However, I am also aware that you can get pitting if you add flat items into it, which is why I thought I'd go over to using my mop with the Luxi polish.

Sometimes after polishing with the polishing mop, it hasn't taken out the tiny marks, so maybe I need to polish for longer? (I do wash with soapy water between polishes).

Dennis
29-07-2019, 08:27 PM
Professionals would take flat surfaces to a mirror finish using mops and compounds, but it takes skill, a light touch and constant movement to avoid tramlines appearing.

Tumblers introduce pits, due to the needles, which become clearly visible under magnification and in photographs.

My preferred method is to rub them on MicroMesh sheets, available from Cookson and on line. You put them flat on the bench and rub the piece on it. You only need three or four grades, and the result is mirror like.

It might save your finger nails, to put a piece of BluTack on the back of the sheet as a handle. Dennis

CJ57
29-07-2019, 09:16 PM
I’ve never used anything but a bench polished Jules. I used to use tripoli and rouge , a bristle brush with the tripoli. I now use luxi blue and white but still find myself going back sometimes to my original polishes, a lot of people use Menzerna but I haven’t tried it.
I can understand why you use the tumbler for your chainmaille though although 8 have down that on the big one too in the distant past.
This is the finish I can get on a flat surface but it is about moving it about constantly and just comes with a lot of practice. I find it satisfying to get to this stage but then finish was all when I did my training and it’s stuck as a benchmark

china
30-07-2019, 03:37 AM
Tumbler will not produce the polish required for high end items tumble polishing is a process to to save time when only average results are required.
To answer your question if you are happy with the lower quality of tumbling then you could omit the buff stage.

Petal
30-07-2019, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the tip Dennis, I've got some micromesh, so will be giving that a go today, with some trial discs.

Thanks for the tip Caroline and also the photos of your beautifully polished work. I'll be polishing some trial discs using this method too.

Bob, I disagree with your comments about tumblers producing average results, but assume its meant regarding using it with flat items? As to using it for chainmaille, which I do 90% of my time, my tumbler produces excellent, high quality results, which I am happy with.

CJ57
30-07-2019, 08:36 AM
Tumbling won’t get a high finish as Bob says so I’d miss out that and use the luxi combo with a bristle for the first stage and swansdown for the final. If you haven’t done anything else but cut them from new sheet there shouldn’t be many if any scratches. As you have a good disc cutter the edges shouldn’t need more than a rub round with a bit of wet and dry

Goldsmith
30-07-2019, 11:28 AM
I have always used a bench polisher, as others have said I start with a bristle brush and Tripoli compound then finish with a soft swansdown mop and Rouge compound. May I also suggest this book for your library; http://www.crowood.com/details.asp?isbn=9781785005237&t=Polishing-and-Finishing-for-Jewellers-and-Silversmiths

James

Petal
30-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Many thanks Caroline and James, I'll give those tips a go and also get the book you recommended.

Petal
05-08-2019, 07:51 AM
My apologies to Bob for not listening to his advice - after all I was the one asking for it!

I've had a go at micromeshing and also bench polishing and am really pleased with the results, despite realising I've been using swanstrom mops for both polishing stages. [-X.

The front of my hammered domed earrings are super shiny, but how do others polish the back of them, where the pin is soldered on??

I'm off to order a bristle brush now...

pearlescence
05-08-2019, 08:05 AM
Get hold of a copy of 'polishing and finishing' by masterpolisher Stephen Goldsmith

CJ57
05-08-2019, 09:28 AM
I just do a matt finish in the back using the sponge sanding pads from Cookson that are supposed to be for clay. They are what I use for a matt finish generally

Petal
05-08-2019, 12:44 PM
I just do a matt finish in the back using the sponge sanding pads from Cookson that are supposed to be for clay. They are what I use for a matt finish generally

Are they these ones Caroline, https://www.cooksongold.com/Precious-Metal-Clay/Sponge-Sanding-Pads,-Set-Of-3-Grits-prcode-999-SS01 ?

CJ57
05-08-2019, 03:06 PM
Are they these ones Caroline, https://www.cooksongold.com/Precious-Metal-Clay/Sponge-Sanding-Pads,-Set-Of-3-Grits-prcode-999-SS01 ?

That’s them. There are 3 grades when I’d prefer the finest but they wear down. I use them for front surfaces matt finish because the sponge gets in quite well and I find it a flatter matt than brass and not as scratchy as scotchbrite which I’ve found if you aren’t watching can make a mess of your work and remove definition.
You could brass brush the backs as long as the scratches are removed I find a matt finish acceptable. Just remember to do it before any hallmarking too

Petal
05-08-2019, 03:23 PM
Do you use it wet or dry Caroline?

I've got some other things to order, so will add these to it.

I assume this is the bristle brush you were recommending?

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Plastic-Centre-Lathe-Brush-3,-----Stiff-Black-Bristle-prcode-999-CAH&query=bristle%20brush&channel=uk

I've always wanted to do a fine matt finish, so thanks for the matt polish tip.

CJ57
05-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Do you use it wet or dry Caroline?

I've got some other things to order, so will add these to it.

I assume this is the bristle brush you were recommending?

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Plastic-Centre-Lathe-Brush-3,-----Stiff-Black-Bristle-prcode-999-CAH&query=bristle%20brush&channel=uk

I've always wanted to do a fine matt finish, so thanks for the matt polish tip.

I use these ones https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Black-Bristle-Lathe-Wheel-2-Stiff-Bristle-Metal-Centre-prcode-944-010&query=bristle%20brush&channel=uk
But I think James uses the ones you linked to or similar. I’d probably be better getting either a wooden or plastic centre one as sometimes they spin off if I haven’t tightened them enough. I prefer the shorter bristle though

I use the pads dry. I never seems to get the scotchbrite mop finish even and they burn your fingers and can be a bit brutal so I like having the hand control of the pads

Petal
05-08-2019, 06:15 PM
why the shorter bristle Caroline, are there any benefits to this, as opposed to the longer bristles?

CJ57
05-08-2019, 06:19 PM
My preference, not so much movement in the bristle when its in contact with the metal so I feel it works better

Petal
05-08-2019, 06:33 PM
I'll go for the shorter bristle one then. Many thanks xxx