PDA

View Full Version : Revolving stand recommendations

Susie
27-07-2019, 07:00 PM
I would really like a revolving stand for soldering and I bought the black budget version from Cookson's, which I had to return. It didn't spin smoothly and kept flicking back to the starting position if I let go, so does anyone have one that they can recommend? I don't want to have to return another one.
Thanks so much

misspond
27-07-2019, 08:07 PM
I'm the queen of cheap so feel free to not take my advice, but I bought a Lazy Susan bearing, the part that does the turning, for around £3 on ebay. I put a round tin lid from a charity shop on top - it has a diameter of 7" - and once there's a spare bench block inside and then a soldering block on top of that I find it's heavy enough to be stable and I can spin it with no fear of causing myself any harm. It could equally be filled with pumice or I can use whatever block suits the job in hand. Before I was given the spare bench block I used to use a soldering block alone and that in itself was heavy enough to sufficiently weight it down but I do try and be a bit safely conscious ;)

Susie
27-07-2019, 08:45 PM
Ooh, that sounds interesting. I'm going to go on Ebay now and take a look. Thanks. That's a great idea!

misspond
27-07-2019, 10:46 PM
I do think there's a lot of marketing around what's necessary, once you add the word jewellery to a search the price goes up hugely.

china
28-07-2019, 05:14 AM
Yep that's the way to go, I have made several over the years

Susie
28-07-2019, 08:20 AM
I’ve ordered one on eBay so thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

misspond
28-07-2019, 02:40 PM
I’ve ordered one on eBay so thank you.

You're welcome!

NickD
29-07-2019, 07:33 PM
I'm the queen of cheap so feel free to not take my advice, but I bought a Lazy Susan bearing, the part that does the turning, for around £3 on ebay. I put a round tin lid from a charity shop on top - it has a diameter of 7" - and once there's a spare bench block inside and then a soldering block on top of that I find it's heavy enough to be stable and I can spin it with no fear of causing myself any harm. It could equally be filled with pumice or I can use whatever block suits the job in hand. Before I was given the spare bench block I used to use a soldering block alone and that in itself was heavy enough to sufficiently weight it down but I do try and be a bit safely conscious ;)

Sorry to be so dim MissP but what is a bench block?
Nick

Dennis
29-07-2019, 08:39 PM
Ah well, as I'm here I might as well jump in. A bench block is a heavy steel plate, normally used for hammering on.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Steel-Bench-Block-8cm-X-8cm-prcode-999-791&query=bench%20blocks&channel=uk.

For its more common use it is put on a sand bag, thick folded cloth, or blanket to dampen the noise. Dennis.

Dennis
29-07-2019, 08:49 PM
I would really like a revolving stand for soldering and I bought the black budget version from Cookson's, which I had to return. It didn't spin smoothly and kept flicking back to the starting position if I let go, so does anyone have one that they can recommend? I don't want to have to return another one.
Thanks so much

Susie, If you don't feel like improvising, you could go for an inexpensive version from Walsh: https://www.hswalsh.com/categories/revolving-soldering-stands-hearths Dennis.

NickD
30-07-2019, 07:22 AM
Ah well, as I'm here I might as well jump in. A bench block is a heavy steel plate, normally used for hammering on.

https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Steel-Bench-Block-8cm-X-8cm-prcode-999-791&query=bench%20blocks&channel=uk.

For its more common use it is put on a sand bag, thick folded cloth, or blanket to dampen the noise. Dennis.

Ah yes. Thanks Dennis. I've got one but still can't think how i(used to) refer to it .
:O)

art925
30-07-2019, 07:44 AM

Brilliant Hack...

Susie
31-07-2019, 08:35 AM
Susie, If you don't feel like improvising, you could go for an inexpensive version from Walsh: https://www.hswalsh.com/categories/revolving-soldering-stands-hearths Dennis.

Thanks Dennis

Susie
17-08-2019, 03:44 PM
Just a quick update - I bought a revolving base stand from Ebay for £4 and nabbed a bit of discarded wood and it works perfectly. Such a result! When I need a new bit of kit, I'll post on here first to see if there's a way to improvise in the future.

Thank you all

Sue

misspond
18-08-2019, 08:17 AM
Pleased to read that it works :)