PDA

View Full Version : This Poor old Forum.

Dennis
03-07-2019, 12:38 PM
This poor old forum is threatened with extinction. We have thousands of members and it was once a hive of active discussion.

I have thoroughly enjoyed it over the years, but now there is only a handful of active members. Is it due to a preference for social media? It can't be global warming.

How about some of you posting a show and tell, or an interesting story, or a notice for an exhibition, just once a month or so? Things would soon perk up.

I'm sick of the sound of my own voice here. Dennis.

CJ57
03-07-2019, 01:16 PM
It has got a bit quiet right enough Dennis and often the people who ask a question don’t bother to return for the answer.

I’m afrait it’s FB, many of the old members on here are visiting different jewellery forums regularly. I do pop in here every day to check but I think the last time I answered something the poster either didn’t come back or my answer was ignored.

The same thing happened to the GOJD forum and everyone seemed to move here and now they’ve moved on again. I don’t know what the answer is

ps_bond
03-07-2019, 01:23 PM
It's certainly quiet - I'd post more, but I'm not making much at the moment. Dennis beats me to most questions asked anyway so there's not much to add :)
Still, I do get to deal with the spammers fairly frequently...

CJ57
03-07-2019, 01:36 PM
There was me thinking they weren’t even bothering now but you must be beating them to it!

misspond
03-07-2019, 05:57 PM
It's definitely very quiet here. I tend to find that I don't have a lot to offer in terms of advice but know it's important to be active within a forum to keep it thriving, so do chip in if I think I have something to offer.

joella
03-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Maybe Dennis’s post here is just the little poke in the right direction that some of us needed - so I’ve just posted a show and tell. It’s not very exciting I’m afraid, but it’s all I’ve got just now.

china
04-07-2019, 04:48 AM
I have a couple of things coming up I will post some pics making a belt buckle, plus building a new press, press is on hold for a bit as I am not allowed to weld at the moment (Just had second cataract done)

Dennis
04-07-2019, 09:18 AM
It's a whole new world with your sight improved, Bob.

pearlescence
04-07-2019, 10:34 AM
What I thought were low clouds in the distance in morocco were in fact the atlas mountains - before and after!

Changing the subject I am off to Hong Kong on buying trip again in Sept for the massive international gem show. Happy to source for peeps. (going to a pearl farm in Vietnam before that to work)

Featherstone
04-07-2019, 01:20 PM
I have absolutely nothing to offer advice wise as I’m a newbie - but just want to say your advice has been great so far and I haven’t been able to ask the questions I have to anyone/where else.
So I say keep at it! So I can keep bugging you with my questions at least haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LydiaNiz
04-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Hello folks, it's been a while. Hope everyone is well. I can actually currently see my desk which helps as I can't use the forum on my phone, which is mostly how I do everything online these days. I do have a question, so I'll go and seek the appropriate spot.

Susie
04-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Thank you for the nudge Dennis.
I would just like to add that this forum has been invaluable to me. With a 20 year absence of making jewellery, lots of new techniques and equipment has emerged over this time, and this was the perfect place to ask questions without the fear of looking stupid.

I will from now on offer my support, even if i don’t feel qualified to give any advice.

We can’t lose this forum!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Goldsmith
05-07-2019, 10:33 AM
I must admit that being an old school goldsmith, most recent enquiries on this forum have been outside my knowledge, I do read the posts every day, but I have stopped posting photos of my past work as I am now retired from the trade. I do post photos and answer questions about my trade on FaceBook in various groups though.

James
James Miller FIPG.

china
05-07-2019, 12:14 PM
What is FaceBook

Goldsmith
05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
What is FaceBook

I am sure you are joking China, check this group;https://www.facebook.com/groups/1454448621535424/

china
05-07-2019, 01:55 PM
Yes I was it was my feeble attempt at humour, I don't have anything to do with FaceBook, and yes I know that makes me a rare entity these days

Nick martin
05-07-2019, 04:34 PM
I’m also guilty of dipping in and out infrequently.

I get most of my work from Instagram and Facebook but this is my only source for advice and help. People on here have been extremely good to me in that sense which is hugely appreciated.

Although I still make jewellery, most of my recent stuff is woodworking which means I haven’t posted anything on here. Then there’s the time element with work and setting my website up, although I do have a question I would like help on which I’ll post shortly :)

It’s a fantastic resource without a doubt, but l also don’t know the solution to revitalising the forum I’m afraid. Have CooksonGold seen a dip in trade? Is it because they don’t put that much effort into publicising the Forum?

Nick

TDA20
06-07-2019, 12:35 PM
This forum has been amazing for advice and support. I have found myself using Facebook more as I feel a lot of my questions are quite trivial or too basic. Will start posting more things here as would hate to lose this forum. Thank you for the nudge Dennis :)

enigma
08-07-2019, 05:46 PM
Ditto what others have said, this forum has been a wonderful resource for invaluable advice.
Im not sure what the answer is either, the SBJ forum on FB seems to be one of the busier places these days but I have no idea why people are congregating there rather than here.

CJ57
08-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Ditto what others have said, this forum has been a wonderful resource for invaluable advice.
Im not sure what the answer is either, the SBJ forum on FB seems to be one of the busier places these days but I have no idea why people are congregating there rather than here.

I think people like to be notified of posts or replies so fb suits. I’ve heard a few new posters on here coming back weeks later because they thought they’d have been notified of responses. If you’re already in fb then it’s all on your plate, not always a good thing

enigma
09-07-2019, 06:18 PM
True, although they can always click on new posts at the top of the forum.
Mind you Ive noticed a lot of this type of forum seem to have gone quiet these days.

TDA20
09-07-2019, 07:34 PM
Facebook is a lot more visual. My phone often glitches when I try to open pictures in the forum.

mizgeorge
09-07-2019, 08:55 PM
I think faceache has done a lot of damage to all of these more traditional forums, which is a great shame as they hold a wealth of information, and are much more based on a q&a format (useful) rather than a 'look at me' style, which I find tiresome and too fast moving - I don't use FB at all, but have noticed that people using it seem to have trouble finding archive information and end up repeating things endlessly. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

I do agree that it's harder to add pictures quickly and intuitively, and I think that's where the newer formats win - though it seems that instagram is the main medium for just about everything now - with barely any words at all.

CJ57
09-07-2019, 09:10 PM
I feel it’s not so much that it’s difficult to find archived info on fb but that people just don’t even bother to read through a post so are quite happy to ask a question again without looking for a previous response. I’ve searched for things and it’s actually quite easy, people have just become really lazy. I wonder if it’s bcause people mostly use their phones so it’s harder to follow, I wouldn’t know as mine is rarely switched on! This is a bit clunky and a lot of recent posts just seem to disappear.

joella
10-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Hmm,
My feeling is that these things go in cycles, and the forum is loosing out to facebook at present.
Facebook and the forum are very different things, here on the forum, answers to requests for advice tend to be thought out and comprehensive in their response. The wealth of experience and wisdom is a very valuable asset.
Facebook, on the whole, tends to be more geared towards instant gratification via ‘likes’ etc, although there are of course exceptions, the help on offer is not in depth.
I wish I knew what the answer was, I seem to remember at least one post on here that ran and ran, it was so useful, I think it was a question about stone setting - about 11 pages worth! Very helpful, I followed it avidly. That would never happen on fb - but I’m preaching to the converted, it’s how to get all those fb people to come here and give it a go - without the reward of instant gratification in the form of ‘likes’ and inane content free responses. Surely people will tire of it, and return to the more sustaining forum - generally, it’s like comparing a packet of crisps to a 3 course meal!
All I can think of is for those of us who do use Facebook, to suggest the forum to people on it whenever the opportunity arises. The problem is that so many people use Facebook for so many things, so they are already there anyway, so it’s sort of delivered straight to them on a silver platter - they don’t have to go to it, it comes to them. What we really need is an already well established Facebook page to direct people to the forum. I’d suggest gojd, but they have their own forum now.

Also, ahem, not sure how to put this delicately - but, not wishing to annoy or offend anyone, but, as people are on fb anyway for so many things, they won’t just leave it if someone is a bit say, snippy, judgemental or dismissive etc - but the forum is another matter - people just wont come back, because they don’t have myriad other reasons for being here. (I know, I can feel all the eye rolls and sighs - and the forum is a very friendly and hugely supportive community of people), but it’s worth remembering that if we want the forum to survive, we don’t have the luxury of fb, we can’t afford to alienate people. ......I hope I haven’t alienated anyone with my last comment :D
Sue

Dennis
10-07-2019, 09:40 AM
People are so touchy these days, i guarantee three or four members have gone to get counselling as a result of your comments, Sue. Never mind. they will emerge all the stronger for it. Dennis.

Petal
10-07-2019, 04:38 PM
I'm not a fan of Facebook either; I've seen the damage it can do to young people and others, who feel much more isolated and depressed as a result of people posting piccies of their 'perfect' lives etc. They think they have to look 'perfect' or they won't make any friends. Yes, they make it easy for people to keep on using it, but I don't think that's a good thing.

I've been on this forum from the start and have learnt an enormous amount of information from both professionals and amateurs alike and it would be a great shame if it were to get even quieter, or be shut down. I think the few that are still posting are doing a fabulous job and should be applauded for keeping it going.

We really all have to do our bit asking and replying to questions, posting pics of stuff we are doing etc. The other thing is that the reduction of spammers might help, as we've had a few more of them in the last few months, especially replying to really old posts, with yet another silly question/comment.

CJ57
10-07-2019, 04:51 PM
Aw but Jules I quite like spammers for a bit of baiting. The problem I find occasionally is that I’m not sure whether it’s a spammer or someone who is particularly thick so I ignore them for a wee while and then Peter spoils it by removing them before we have some fun. Fun with Spam ( sounds like a children’s book) used to be a bit of a pastime on a quiet day:)

enigma
10-07-2019, 06:25 PM
I agree Sue with your well thought out post although you know nobody would have read past the first couple of lines if it was on FB LOL.
Im not sure about the being snippy bit though, we do need a bit of entertainment now and again and it does only seem to happen when its warranted.
Looking forward to Fun With Spam :-"

ps_bond
10-07-2019, 08:28 PM
Aw but Jules I quite like spammers for a bit of baiting. The problem I find occasionally is that I’m not sure whether it’s a spammer or someone who is particularly thick so I ignore them for a wee while and then Peter spoils it by removing them before we have some fun. Fun with Spam ( sounds like a children’s book) used to be a bit of a pastime on a quiet day:)

I have many recipes using Spam if that's needed. A particular favourite is Spam musubi, which munges together different cultures quite impressively.

I tend to look at the diction used by spammers - there's a small number of identical patterns they use. Posting 5 or 6 random requotes on old threads is no challenge; actually involving themselves tends to make me pause even if I'm absolutely certain they are as I suspect.

TDA20
11-07-2019, 10:03 AM
I completely agree with everything you've said Sue. This forum is a wealth of quality information and detailed responses in a way that isn't suited to social media. I think they serve different purposes. Facebook is good for answering a quick question but anything more in depth the forum would be better. In terms of searching, is there any way to improve the search engine here so you can reliably search for more than one word? It may just be that I don't know how to use it properly :/

Dennis
11-07-2019, 10:45 AM
It's not much of a search engine unless you can put in just one key word.
However if you search the web, the reply on this forum often comes up. Dennis.

misspond
11-07-2019, 06:22 PM
It's not much of a search engine unless you can put in just one key word.
However if you search the web, the reply on this forum often comes up. Dennis.

That's very true. I think it's how I found the forum in the first place. I've spent many a happy hour here hunting through posts and reading replies, about topics I've had no real questions about (because I'm not tackling that particular skill) as well as topics that are pertinent to something I'm trying out for myself.