Contact our scrap experts
Do you have a question about our scrap services, require some advice on how to get the best out of your scrap collections, or simply want to ask a question relating to precious metal scrap? Check whether the answers you are looking for appear below.
What's the latest scrap prices?
Our latest scrap prices are available on-line updated twice a day click here to view the latest 9ct, 14ct, 18ct, 22ct, silver and platinum scrap prices.
What type of materials do you treat?
At Cookson we daily treat jewellery, dental, industrial scrap and waste product. We accept scrap in the following forms :
- Unwanted / damaged jewellery including watch parts.
- Clean scrap
- Assayed bar
- Bench Lemels
- Sweepings (polishing, emery floor sweeps)
- Hand wash tank waste
- Dental materials
- Industrial i.e. Thermocouples, wires, platinum laboratory equipment
How do we charge for our scrap services?
Our charges are based on :
- The quantity of materials you give us
- The assay type - the make up of gold, silver, platinum or palladium.
- The process we use.
- For more details on your individual scrap materials contact us.
How do I get my scrap to Cookson?
To ensure your scrap is safely returned to us we have four methods of collection :
- Collect scrap in our free scrap pot, then simply post it back to our central scrap reprocessing department in Birmingham.
- Ask for a free special delivery envelope (or click here to print a postage paid address label), to ensure your scrap is safely returned to Cookson.
- For larger scrap collections simply call to arrange an on-site visit from one of our representatives.
- Drop your scrap into any one of our two trade counters, located in Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter and Hatton Garden in London
- Click here for contact detail & maps of our trade counters
What are our settlement terms?
Our settlement terms are flexible and allow us to pay you by :
- Cash or cheque
- Bank transfer
- Credited to your Cookson credit account
- Material in return (even if you don't have a Cookson Account).
How long does it take to reprocess my scrap?
We aim to turn around jobs as quickly as possible, our aim is to process:
- Counter returns : Same day - whilst you wait
- Clean and hallmarked scrap jobs : Same or next day
- Bench lemel or assayed bars : 3 working days
- Sweeps : 10 working days.
- Dental scrap : 3 working days
- Industrial material : 3 working days.
Why choose Cookson and not my current scrap dealer?
Cookson has over 10 years experience in melting and assaying, and the process used to treat your scrap is the same as we use in the production of our alloys. Our dedicated Scrap departments give you the assurance of a personal service, with responsibility for the security of your metal. On paper we may appear more expensive that others, but all our charges are shown clearly on our receipt reflecting the full melting assaying and refining service we provide. The quantity of each elements found in your scrap -not just gold and silver, platinum and palladium are also clearly displayed on your receipt.
Others say they can treat my materials for £10 - £20.
Can they? Remember you are paying for a full melting, refining and analytical service.
What is the Gold Standard?
The Gold Standard is a voluntary code of conduct for the face to face purchase of second hand precious metal and jewellery.
It has been designed to provide protection to BJA members and non-members, aid the Police in tracing stolen items of jewellery and to encourage greater consumer confidence in trading with accredited dealers.
When you bring scrap metal into our London – Hatton Garden and Birmingham – Jewellery Quarter trade counters, you will be asked to provide the following verification details:
- Name and Address
- Photographic ID e.g. Passport, Driving License, ID Cards
- Sign a disclaimer to say that you are the owner or have the permission of the owner to partake in the transaction and that you consent to having your personal details stored on file for a minimum period of 3 months.
We will then make a formal copy of the transaction and photocopy or photograph the items as part of the transaction and maintain our records accordingly.
The transaction and photographic records will be kept in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 for a minimum of three months and we will produce these if requested to the police.
Click here to learn more about The Gold Standard
Can I get advice on how best to collect and return scrap?
Any of our scrap experts would be delighted to discuss your requirements, for more information contact our scrap experts in London's Hatton Garden and Birmingham Jewellery Quarter for more information. Click here for contact details and directions to our trade counters.
For any further questions you might have on our scrap service, please contact us on 0845 100 11 22 or email your query to firstname.lastname@example.org.