Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micro torch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

You will need a re-fillable micro torch for thin rings, jump rings and chains, so you might as well shop for the cheapest on line.

Soldering a bangle however thin, is quite a different matter, because its size aids the loss of heat so fast that it won't get hot enough to solder with a small torch.

There are larger hand held torches, but you will probably need two (or one of each) used together, for bangles.

Thank you both, very helpful. I might therefore get a cheap handheld and also the orca on the provision that MAP gas can be used in a bedroom.
    George - do you know whether this is ok to use inside the house?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneMary92 View Post
    Thank you both, very helpful. I might therefore get a cheap handheld and also the orca on the provision that MAP gas can be used in a bedroom.
    George - do you know whether this is ok to use inside the house?

Do you have a space outside in your backyard? You could make a small work area outside just to do larger soldering jobs where you could use a larger propane torch.

Look here for some ideas. http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/garden-sheds

http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co....rden-workshops
    Last edited by handmadeblanks; 29-04-2018 at 05:51 PM.

I'd love to have something like that outside but unfortunately it wouldn't be an option at this stage

I can't believe after about 2 weeks of research I've finally made my decision- yay! I now need to quickly make the purchase before I change my mind haha! For any newbies having the same issue I've decided on getting a cheap handheld microtorch I found on ebay with good reviews and will also get the EZ torch kit with the adapter for MAPP gas as suggested by mizgeorge.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to my first thread, what a fantastic community :-)

Out of interest, does anyone know if an EZ torch and MAPP cylinder is hot enough to melt silver and gold? For example for recycling scrap and delft clay casting...?