Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a mould

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Goldsmith, What a great piece of kit. I see what you mean.....I think! Do you “carve” out the female shape in the lead block, then press the male dye into it using your press?
    The female shapes in the block are formed by continual pressing the shapes, I start off pressing into a flat block as the lead is quite soft. Sometimes I also use a hammer to hit the punches into the block to create deeper shapes.
    This is one of my blocks, when they get full I just re melt them into an ingot mold and start again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Lead block&Ingot mold.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	10782

James

Quote Originally Posted by Goldsmith View Post
    The female shapes in the block are formed by continual pressing the shapes, I start off pressing into a flat block as the lead is quite soft. Sometimes I also use a hammer to hit the punches into the block to create deeper shapes.
    This is one of my blocks, when they get full I just re melt them into an ingot mold and start again.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17 Lead block&Ingot mold.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	10782

James
    Thanks so much for your advice. I have a role of roofing lead so now to generate enough heat to melt a worthwhile quantity.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    Thanks so much for your advice. I have a role of roofing lead so now to generate enough heat to melt a worthwhile quantity.
    David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I made my blocks from old roofing lead, melted with my Sievert propane torch. Also I meant to mention this company who sells suitable metals for making punches, they supply model engineer's equipment and metals; https://www.ekpsupplies.com/materials-metals.html

Have got various diameters of brass rod. Can’t remember where I got them! I will start with them and see how I go.