Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a mould

Default Making a mould

Hello all.
    I haven’t posted very much at all here but read a lot and then attempt to follow advice in posts. I have always had the reputation of running before I can walk! Witness various accidents! However, why do something repetitively when you know you can do it? Why not attempt the next step or even try jumping the boundary of knowledge into a new pasture?
    Ok here is an idea, probably idiotic. Please help!
    I want to make a pair of hollow tear drop earrings in silver. I am thinking of grinding out the half shape using a dremel and burr into a piece of oak. Then “casting” using plaster of Paris or polyfilla to make the two parts. Joining them to see if the depth and form are correct adjusting as necessary. Then “stretching my silver sheet (.5mm) into the mound twice using smooth round ended tools, rather like repoussée work.
    Cutting/filing round the edges so they fit flush......then soldering. I anticipate a number of technical hitches!
    Is there a better way of doing this?

Can you post a sketch of what you want to make? I understand the term teardrops, but what size do you want? if small then it may be easier shaping a teardrop punch to the size you require rather than shaping a die in wood. I shape most hollow pieces by hammering or punching into a lead block.

This is how I shaped a leaf shape on a lead block.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32a Leaf sheet A  low res.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	10775

James
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20 Lead block sheet.jpg  

The tear drop would be between 15 to 20 mm long. Having a problem with attaching a photo for some reason.

Should be easy enough if you can make four identical halves.
    However hollow forms should be vented-in this case top and bottom, with small holes to avoid pressure build up when heating, allow pickle to drain away and for neutralising solution to enter. Dennis.

Thank both. Still can’t post a picture! Have made hollow regular shaped earrings before so know the need to have vent holes! Really frustrating that I can’t upload photos....have done so before.....must be brain fail! Any hints?

Name:	EE0EC24F-340C-4A7C-828A-19F3DE82F6A5.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	10779
    I hope this shows a photo.....ah at last.

As I said before if I was making these I would press them in a lead block, I file my own press tools which you can hammer or use in an arbor press like I do. I bought a batch of brass and steel ofcuts from rods from a model engineers show which have served me well for making punches.
    This is a photo of some of my homemade punches and my arbor press. (this Warco No.0, arbor press is priced at £50 today).

Name:	175a Arbor press + tools.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	10780

James

Hi James, bit off topic, I am just interested did you drill the ram on the arbor press, I have never seen one that is standard with a bore in the ram

Goldsmith, What a great piece of kit. I see what you mean.....I think! Do you “carve” out the female shape in the lead block, then press the male dye into it using your press?

The Warco arbor press has a bore in the ram as standard for holding tools with shafts, it has a locking finger screw to secure punches in the ram.

Name:	175c Arbor press + tools.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	10781

James