Thread: Soldering platinum

Default Soldering platinum

I found a helpful thread in the search but I have a few more questions if I may.
    Ive been asked by a customer to set some new stones onto a platinum ring, having never worked with platinum before Ive turned the job down for now but did think perhaps it may be time to have a go with platinum.
    My idea is to make up some platinum tube and bezel settings and solder them onto a 9ct yellow ring for myself as that wouldn't require too much expenditure.
    So my first question is can I use gold solder on the settings or do I need to buy platinum?
    My second question is would that give me the appropriate practise for working with a whole ring in platinum later or is it a very different ballgame when soldering larger items in platinum with platinum solder?
    I did find an article on Ganoksin about soldering platinum which said I would need a special soldering block and tweezers etc, will I need these for now with gold solder and small items of platinum?
    And does anybody know where I could buy them?
    I have a Little torch which I understand will provide enough heat.

Thanks in advance.

Missed this earlier...

Platinum solder with gold findings won't give you a result you want - the melting point of the stuff will leave you with puddled gold, so yes, I'd use gold solder. The issues with soldering blocks & contamination (don't use a Ti soldering pick - it'll burn) come when you're at the higher temperatures, so your existing ones should be fine. If you think about it, there's a lot of 18ct gold shanks with platinum heads out there.

https://johnson-matthey.ch/pdfs/7_combination.pdf might help?

My Pt soldering (and welding) station - when I'm not using the laser, which is a joy to use on Pt - is the Benchmate soldering setup, but with the high-temp block & tungsten fingers. I also have a clean bench peg, files (Valtitan) and saw blades for it.

I can't seem to find an index for Johnson-Matthey's pdfs, but if you use https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=si...3Apdf+platinum it seems to work from here.