Thread: Sievert beginners torch kit

Default Sievert beginners torch kit

I am a relatively inexperienced guy! Previously and continuing to work on clocks both big and small. Now thanks to being "infected" by my daughter I have branched out into silver work, rings and hitherto small pieces. Last week I was asked to repair a mangled silver bracelet by a friend. Much to my surprise it now looks half decent even though I have had to solder strengthening strips on the inside. My greatest problem was getting the heat high enough. I have hitherto been using my Proxxon hand held which is super for small pieces but not fierce enough for the large bracelet. I just hung there with it at full pelt using up all the loaded gas with the solder just looking at me and laughing! I then moved up to my large "plumbing" torch, a Gosystem propane unit. Oh yes that worked a treat but there was no precision about it, it is like a flame thrower and I feared for the house with its large flame and unergonomic size and weight! Would you experienced people recommend as a step up from my Proxxon, the beginners propane torch sold by Cooksons? Or should I go straight away for the bigger unit sold by them? Any other recommendations by you?
    Many thanks.

I sometimes use a Sievert torch, mine is an old model and I have many different size screw on nozzles that give me many sizes of flames. If I was buying now I would think about this model from this company, a decent kit for £80, plus the cost of a few more nozzles/burners.

Sievert JewellersTorch kit; https://gasproducts.co.uk/catalogsea...lers+torch+kit

Burner nozzles; https://gasproducts.co.uk/gas-blow-t...rners.html?p=1

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 19-09-2017 at 07:55 AM.

While you are waiting to sort out your ideas, Your Go system torch can be modified with a strip of brass, or copper bent to an omega shape to slide over the burner and partially close off the air supply.

It can then be used simply to raise the temperature of a large piece with a soft flame, while homing in with a smaller torch for soldering.

The Sievert is still bought for reasons of economy, but the favourite is a Smiths Little Torch, with an Oxicon oxygen generator.

Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand Held Torch Modified.jpg  

Thank you both for your advice. Space is a consideration so the extra space needed for a O2 generator is a concern. ....we will see!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk