Thread: Getting started with metal clay

Post Getting started with metal clay

Hello everyone
    After hearing about metal clay from a friend and doing a one day course, I am hooked! I hope to go on and make sellable pieces, but I have a lot to learn first. Really good to have a forum like this to ask questions of the more experienced.

Hi, it's a bit quiet on here so I'll say hello in the meantime. I'm not sure there are many clay experts on here we tend to be mostly sheet metal jewellers. I have a feeling there are forums specific to clay users that may be better at answering your next question. I may be wrong though so if you do a search on previous clay questions you might find some help

Dear Ljsh,

There is no doubt that you can make saleable jewellery from metal clay but it is an exceedingly expensive way to buy metal and the possibilities are quite limited, so you might be better off learning traditional techniques, for shaping sheet and wire and possibly carving wax for casting.

If you do not have any classes near you, much of it can be learned from books for beginners and online.

Welcome to the forum. Dennis.