Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6mm Silver Halo Ring

Default 6mm Silver Halo Ring

Someone has asked me to make them a plain, silver ring with 6mm round wire.
    That seems absolutely MASSIVE! I did question it, especially as she's only a UK size K.
    Do I make it? Unfortunately, she's not in this country so i can't show her the wire before i made it.
    She found my website where i sell 3mm and 4mm round rings. But seriously? Should I reject it?
    I'm thinking she'd come back in a few weeks to say it was impossible to wear.

Has anyone on here made a ring that depth from round silver wire?

Thanks

(Oh and I wasn't sure which section of the forum to post this, so apologies if it's in the wrong section?

Bending that stuff into a ring is going to be mad, I had to bend 4mm and that was bad enough!

Hi Susie,

If it helps I'm a size K and wouldn't consider wearing a 6mm round ring. I wouldnt have thought it'd be so pretty either, such a chunky ring in such a small size. Maybe your lady doesn't really understand, well geometry! Have you explained to her what it'd be like? If you do custom orders could u suggest to her that for 6mm wide a flat or slightly oval profile would be WAY comfier?

Faith
    Last edited by Faith; 26-04-2017 at 09:04 PM.

Maybe you could make a sample up from plastic or something similar that you can shape easy then get her to try it or size. Im sure you will find out what she wants then

Well I'm glad you guys thinks she's nuts too. She's adamant she's had a 6mm round ring before and I again explained that maybe it was 6mm wide, but 2mm deep?
    I think i'm going to refuse to make it and just offer alternative dimensions. I thought it was wrong, but I always like to check on here, so thank you so much for your replies. :0)

Some people like really heavy chunky rings, just make a proviso that you don't recommend that size and there is no warranty on size, does the country she is from use metric or imperial measurement
    she may have the conversion incorrect.
    Last edited by china; 27-04-2017 at 04:11 AM.

Well she's replied to say she's doubting the measurements now, so has gone back to the person who made the original ring she lost to check the measurements. So I'll just hang fire until she replies and go from there. I've just made a 4mm round halo ring and it took me ages to get rid of the marks.
    I read a thread from a few years ago on here, talking about ways people make their 4mm rings, and without a ring stretcher it seems it's always going to be this way.
    i did take someone's advice and use some soft leather to wrap around the half round pliers which worked brilliantly, but i found my leather mallet made big indentations when i was forming it around a mandrel.
    I need to find a better way and do some more research.

For heavier wire a simple way is to use a ring bending tool. A strip of leather is put on the outer side to avoid marks. The inside gets a few shiny facets which are easy to polish away.

It can cope with wire upto about 3.5mm. Of course there are more expensive options, such as the one which comes on the Durston ring stretcher. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pl Ring Bending Tool.jpg  

Draw it up to scale for her? That seems ridiculous, in that you fingers would be forced apart. I couldn't consider trying to bend that thickness at that size either. 3.5 is the thickest I've done, with a lot of help from a mallet and at considerably bigger size.
    I'd love to see how it looked at 6mm actually...

Exactly Lydia! Constant splayed fingers...

Well it's been 10 days now and she hasn't got back to me, so I'm guessing she got the measurements wrong, so I'm going to draw a line under that one.
    However, I am going to order that great ring bending tool Dennis suggested for the 3mm rings. I'll let you know how I get one. Thanks for the comments. This forum is SO useful x