Thread: Silver whistles

Default Silver whistles

Hi all,

I just thought I would share these little silver whistles with you. They are really old all around the late 1800's and early 1900's, mostly made my Sampson Mordan who were pioneers of the propelling pencils.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170425_160531_opt.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	10119

I just wondered if anyone had attempted to make such a thing before, and how it turned out (did they whistle as they should?) any tips or special tricks?

When I was a London boy on a farm in Wales, during WW2, I made whistles from willow twigs, first by sucking and then tapping the bark until it slipped off. The inside was carved, the pith removed, and the the bark replaced. They made a good loud sound.

So naturally when I took up jewellery making, whistles were part of the repertoire. You can but experiment before soldering, but with this size the sound is much softer. Pets are startled, though. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cha Charm Bracelet 2.jpg   Cha Charm Bracelet 3.jpg   Dog Whistle Necklace.jpg   Dog Whistle Detail.jpg   Dog Detail.jpg  

Wow those are great Dennis, did you make all those charms? That little escargot whistle is sweet, though I try to avoid twisted wires as it has tested my patience too many times when the solder has run along it etc. The dog whistle is cool too, thanks for showing me

Yes I made those charms some fifteen years ago and saw them still being worn recently.

The secret of twisted wire decoration is to put it in place and use very small pallions of solder, so as not to clog up the spaces. Dennis.

Hi Dennis,
    I think I've seen your charm bracelet before but just to say I still think it's gorgeous and I love the little pendant too!

Daveyboyz, I'm afraid I've been teaching myself stone setting so can offer you no advice about whistle making, but the little collection you showed is darling, I particular like the owl one, you really can't beat an owl Best of luck making some of your own,

Faith

Dennis the dog whistle is fabulous