Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Method for Pendant Idea?

Default Method for Pendant Idea?

Hello all, I have an idea I've been milling about for a while now and unsure which direction to go with it! I have a detailed drawing of a clock base, it's quite intricate in design. I'd like to recreate this (just the clock base and I'd add the hands separately). My knowledge of different techniques is probably still a bit limited, but I've come up with two options so far. I could somehow convert this into a 3D image suitable to send and have it cast (this may be easier said than done but I've been trying out different 3D software that I'm finding free online), or I could print out the drawing on blue PNP paper and transfer it to a sheet of metal and use etching solution which I suppose is a simpler solution.
    I considered carving a piece of wax but there is so much fine detail in it I'm unsure about doing this as I want to keep it small and delicate....any other methods I could try that I'm not thinking of?

You really need to post a picture or sketch of what you are talking about Sandra, before we can give any possibly useful suggestions.

James

Hi Sandra, buzzing with ideas as usual. If you mean clock face, then etching is not ideal for important detail, because delicate resist can break up in the solutiom. It might be possible to have it laser cut instead. Dennis

Basically I'm trying to make this into a pendant, hopefully. It's such a beautiful clock! It's a drawing of a real existing clock that's on a building, and yes I guess I meant clock face, not base!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clock8.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	10110

This is the actual clock:

Name:	AB0M28.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	85.4 KB 
ID:	10114
    Last edited by Sandra; 24-04-2017 at 03:05 PM.

I did these quickly in CAD using image trace then extruding the curves . You would need to be careful with the size so you don't lose to much detail, I would mill them from wax If it was me as i don't think 3D printing would be sharp enough

Name:	22.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	10111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	23.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	10112Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	10113

Wow that was fast Josef! To do laser cat as Dennis suggested is that done from a CAD image like you've done? I've actually been working with wax casting as of late - but haven't attempted anything quite this detailed and precise. Would you just carve the detail by hand then?

Actually those CAD images don't look too bad to me...

I would use a milling machine its very detailed like you say and I personally think this would give the best result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70gMXm5XB78&t=20s

That's pretty amazing, I didn't know this possibility even existed, till now!
    If I were to try this - where could a person take one small project like this to have it done? It almost feels like cheating LOL but for this project I want it as realistic as possible which is why I'm up for trying anything
    Last edited by Sandra; 24-04-2017 at 04:07 PM.

I know it's been a while since I started this thread but this is still a project I am thinking about! I understand the process of 3-D printing in wax from a CAD image and have even found an online source where you can convert images to 3-D and have them printed in wax. (I haven't tried it yet but may in the near future) But in regard to wax milling - is that also created the same way from a CAD image?

I'm guessing wax milling isn't the most typical method to use for jewellery-making, it explains why I've found little online about it too. Oh well I haven't given up just yet. If only I could afford my own 3-D wax printer!