Thread: Dremel

Default Dremel

Hi there,

This is my first post, apologies if this has been talked about previously. I've looked through the various posts. I'm wanting to get a dremel or alternative tool for polishing wedding bands to a mirror finish. I've used a pendant drill previously in a studio, but looking for something within budget for simple polishing. Would a Dremel suffice and any recommendations on model?

Thanks in advance!

Dremel are not a favourite on here, partly because they don't last that long. However if budget dictates, then get one with a variable speed.

Alternatively, get a micromotor like this, which will be much more comfortable to use:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Micromotor...-/222037731414

However it will only take the standard 2.3mm shanks. The foot switch will be optional, and the speed is controlled with a dial. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis - that's great. I'm wondering whether I should invest a bit. Buy cheap, pay twice and all that! It's mainly just for polishing, any recommendations if I up the budget a bit. Max would be £200. Thanks

You are quite right, but Most decent pendant motors, such as the Foredom with handpiece will cost £300 or more. What you need is a safe shielded handpiece with a quick release. You certainly dont want a chuck that can catch your fingers and a key to remove the burr, which is what the low price ones have.

With luck, the cheap micromotor will probably last 2-3 years, to give you time to save up. I originally bought a Marathon micromotor as a standby. but liked it so much that I have used it as my main motor since. It has been going without problems for 2 years. Dennis.