Thread: What solder and flux should I be using

Default What solder and flux should I be using

Hey I'm completely new to soldering. I have just started to experiment but feel there must be a better way to do it. At the moment I am using a soldering iron and self fluxing solder from the local hardware shop. I am working with copper at the moment but will also be moving on to silver pieces soon. So my question is what solder and flux should I be using. Hard soft med?? I have also read you need to start with hard then move onto the other ones if doing an intricate piece. Why is this?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear Natalie,
    First put away your soldering iron and soft solder, because they have no place in jewellery making and will contaminate your work area.

Next, if you experiment and ask random questions, you won't get very far and soon give it up as a bad job.

People are no doubt fed up with me repeating this, but you are an ideal subject for a simple book on jewellery making, which explains the tools, the techniques and gives introductory projects.

What's more, a used copy can be quite cheap and you can go on using copper, because it behaves very much like silver. Here you are: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-T...uals+jewellery.

Some will conclude that Madeline Coles is my auntie, but no she's not. Dennis.

Hi Natalie , find a local course if you can , I've attended a few evening classes in the past and found them invaluable

Hello Natalie, the type of easy / medium / hard solders most jewellers use in jewellery making won't work with a soldering iron - you need a blow torch to use it. It's an entirely different kind of soldering.
    Sally

Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk