Thread: Getting A Grip.

Default Getting A Grip.

On a visit to our local Homebase Store this weekend, I came across these small clamps at £7.49 the pair. So following a recent fond mention of bar clamps by mzgeorge I thought they were worth a try.

A common cause of broken saw blades, at least for me, is a sudden unexpected movement of the workpiece, cause by loss of concentration and slackening of the supporting fingers.

One of these will certainly not do on its own but will help to supplement the pressure exerted by you. They are quite small and unobtrusive and can be released by pressing a button.

Researching this online now I find that a pair with the Irwin marque (link below) would cost a little more if you add in postage, but might prove more durable.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.ph...Q#.WLL4yn_g91R Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Micro Clamps.jpg  

110views, but no replies. Does everyone else maintain a vice like grip?

Dennis: Doctor doctor, people are ignoring my post.

Doctor: Next patient please.

Finally got around to reading it, Dennis. I'd agree - let up on a piece you're piercing and it can quickly lead to a broken blade. In my case, rather than relying on a vice (I have many vices; some of them are mechanical) I just use my fingers... Since returning to jiu jitsu my grip strength has increased a fair bit, helped along by one of these - http://www.prohands.net/home.php

I read it Dennis, but I couldn't imagine getting any use from such clamps, if I want to clamp anything for holding while working on I use toolmakers clamps like these; http://www.spear-and-jackson.com/pro...l-makers-clamp

I have them in various sizes.

James

The forum doesn't appear to be loading properly for me as Ive only just seen your post Dennis.
    I break a fair few blades by losing my grip on a piece but I don't think I would use a clamp because I generally have to turn the piece too much.
    I normally break blades on fiddly cuts, not straight ones, or when I have to pierce tiny pieces of gold so there isn't much to grip.

Ah thank you folks. That's a good range of replies. Looks like the finger exercisers might be the best remedy. Dennis.

I tend to use parallel jaw pliers as clamping on awkward items for piercing.Mind you,I`m only back to 90% strength after cardiac arrest a couple of years ago!