Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of vice?

Quote Originally Posted by LydiaNiz View Post
    I hold mine between my thighs, it is the most practical (if totally unelegant solution) I've found so far...
    That's actually what I do too Lydia but it didn't seem right to describe it as that!!

I'm another who holds the mandrel against my stomach, the thinner edge resting on my bench too.

I think that as long as the metal is annealed, and done so frequently, then you shouldnt have any problems knocking it into shape using a rawhide mallet etc.

Nick

I agree with a solid 4-6 inch vice if you are hell bent on a vice. When I hammer on the mandrel I use the end of a anvil or place it against a stump and my thigh like others and hammer down. This is also fast and you maintain full control. Hammering can produce tremendous force and a solid surface is a must. I sometimes hold a tool in my vice and cut a block of wood to place under the other end and against the table surface (common with dapping punches for smaller items). This produces a solid surface to hammer against. Unfortunately the mandrel pictured is tapered and a vice doesn't hold it in a solid way. Dennis' jig solves this problem if you are stuck on the vice method.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC06028.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	9951
    Last edited by Goldsmithing; 19-02-2017 at 04:48 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	9953
    I do use a vice for my bangle mandrel which hopefully is visible in this older photo.
    Got it from Machine Mart https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clar...-vice-cvr125b/
    It's a 5" (125mm) I specifically got one with a swivel mechanism as it's often easier for me to hammer/saw/ generally work on things at different angles. It has a handy anvil surface at the rear too.
    Although lap and tap works for generally shaping wire up to about 3mm dia, I find that for shaping wider thick strip say 12mm X 2.5mm I need to control the bangle with one hand while applying a fair amount of force with a hammer, something my lap won't stand. Similarly I sometimes apply a heavy hammered texture which for me works best with the mandrel firmly secured. Holding the wide end of the mandrel in the vice with a similarly tapered wooden wedge underneath for support works well. I use homemade copper vice jaws to prevent damage to the mandrel and have purchased fibre jaws and 'V' groove jaws for holding other round objects such as smaller mandrel and steel rod. Just google Chronos tools for these.
    Hope this helps but let me know if you want any better photos showing close ups ( it's late now and the workshop is looking like a tip)

Quote Originally Posted by josef1 View Post
    If the mandrel is hollow all the way through maybe you could use a large threaded rod with a big plate or washer on the end and bolt it through a block of wood that can be bolted to your bench ?

This is ingenious Josef - I might give it a try when I have a desk solid enough to bolt it to!

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - will have a go at gripping it with my thighs Lydia, hadn't thought of that.