Thread: Bale jump rings before or after casting?

Default Bale jump rings before or after casting?

Hi,

When attaching jump ring bales onto the actual pendant, do people tend to do this on the master or after casting each item from the mold? It would be easier to do it before so you only do it once, but I have heard there are issues with strength so I'd like to know what the best practice is.

Thanks so much!

Roz

In a cast jump ring, an unseen porosity can weaken it. While we must learn to trust our casters, we all hate remedial repairs. Imagine it coming back broken a month after completion.

So being a belt and braces person with some heavy users, I would prefer a wrought jump ring made from wire.

As castings are porous to solder, the jump ring is closed with a little excess solder, held against the casting and the casting re heated. The solder will then melt by conduction and the two will join, no sweat. Just sweat soldering. Dennis.

Thanks soo much again Dennis! I want to make sure I have everything planned properly and that I go down the best routes, so I really appreciate you responding to my questions

I'll put in the extra effort to solder wire jump rings onto each individual casting from the moulds. It might be saved effort in the long run I suppose!

As Dennis has said castings can be porous, if they are not done correctly. A lot depends on what metal and what size of loop you want to use, but as a rule I cast as is and have not had a problem with the loop in the mould. The only reason I might not is that they were very small and thin or unless there is a design reason not to for example restricted space to get in and polish behind it.

That's a really interesting question, I'm glad it was asked here! I've just sent off my first small batch of experimental wax items to be cast, a couple had bails made of wax and a couple didn't as I wasn't sure which way was best either.

I hadn't thought about the porosity and most of the time put the jump rings on my masters. Never had a problem with them so far, but a bit worried about it now!