Thread: Separate tools / equipment for working with 925 silver and with copper

Default Separate tools / equipment for working with 925 silver and with copper

Hi folks, very newbie question here.

I will be working with both silver & copper as I like both.

I know not to put copper (or steel tools) into the silver pickle, and I think I was told not to put copper peices into the same barrel as silver pieces ... ie use a 2nd barrel, but does this need to avoid contamination be taken further ?

So, can you use saw blades & files on both, or are 2 sets needed? Even though files are periodically cleaned off, surely some metal would transfer? Or would it be too little to worry about?

Many thanks, Hal

No Sterling is alloyed with copper. Copper and silver can be worked with the same tools and in the same pickle. Some members even barrel them together. That goes for brass too.

Iron is a bit more tricky, because quite small traces in your pickle pot can turn silver pink due to deposition of copper which gradually builds up as copper sulphate in the solution. Dennis.

Hello Dennis, that's great news, thanks.

I should've explained better re silver and copper :
    I use copper blanks as backing for repousse pewterwork - now that I can (just about) saw copper ... I'm not limited to commercially available shapes / sizes

Working with silver is very new.

Thank you, Hal

Mm well, pewter is defiantly a No No anywhere near silver. Dennis.