Thread: stone stuck in bezel

Default stone stuck in bezel

Before I soldered a bezel cup to a shank, I tested that I'd got the size of the bezel right. The floss I put between the bezel cup and the cab managed to jump out as the cab dropped in, and now the cab won't come out. Is there anything I can do, other than throw them away?

I'd use thin wooden toothpicks to gently prize the bezel open.

Or using a piercing saw, VERY carefully cut into the bezel in order to weaken it and to help you prize it open or snap it.

Nick

Depending on the size of the stone you could also drill a hole from behind and push it out

I have had success with this, before I learned to be on guard:

Use a piece of very sticky tape, such as No More Nails, which is intended for DIY jobs around the house. Pinch the centre together for a handle, and then press it firmly onto the stone.

Leave it for at least 5 minutes for the adhesion to work and then yank strongly. The stone should come out and will be undamaged. Sometimes you need to try more than once. Dennis.

Just had the same problem! I put the bezel into setting plastic and when hard I pulled the stone out with a large piece of bluetac.

I've very carefully inserted scalpel blade covered in masking tape as an extremely last resort to gain some wiggle room until under the stone and popping it out

Sometimes turning it over and giving it a really firm whack with a mallet or wood stick pops the stone out, so long as you can keep a good grip on the bezel

Ultrasonic?
    Poor old Les

A picture would help. Any flat surfaces to the stone? If so, as a generally low risk method, you could use cyanoacrylate (super) glue and pull it out.