Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ferris Mould a Wax - using for casting?

I had a little play at this today, I tried it 2 ways one by melting the wax into a form the other by rolling it into a ball until it was soft. The biggest problem I encountered been a jeweller around christmas time tends to leave you with not much in the way of fingerprints !! but I tried

The wax its old but still ok

I have a little wax melter thing its american so probs in deg F not C but i just set it so the wax melted slowly

It also heated the spoon which I used to get the wax out of the tube thought it was quite apt as the new trainspotting movie is out soon !

I then transfer the molten wax to a plastic lid to make a slab

I then popped this into the freezer to cool

It popped straight out
    Last edited by josef1; 11-12-2016 at 05:30 PM.

I worked on a plastic bag to stop the wax sticking to the bench

I could cut the slab with scissors to size

the left overs I rolled up into a ball Mary Berry making pastry style and used this to make the round shape

I heated it slightly with a small hot air gun

then pressed my finger prints into each one

They do have prints on them but as I said my fingers dont have the most prominent ones at the moment !

I would imagine the wax will cut well with metal cutters , If I get chance I will cast them not sure if Im casting silver this week though.

Josef1 you are amazing!! Thank you so much for doing this! I'm going to get my mountain of christmas orders out the way then hopefully give it a go sunday. Will let you know how I get on. Do you do casting as a service yourself? Where abouts are you based?