Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Silverspinner

I notice that he did not wear eye protection. Could a tag break off and fly? Dennis.

Nothing breaks off when spinning correctly Dennis, it's really just shaping a disc of metal over a chuck with a large burnisher.

James

Back in the eighties I use to give my mate a hand spinning Gold pans 11" diameter ( that's for panning Gold ) plus he had a small lathe for egg cups and the like, it is a dying trade
    I have a metal spinning company 5 mins from where I live they make camping gear-camp ovens, fry pans smokers etc. He loads a blank presses a button a has a cup of coffee while the machine dose all the work

Thanks Dennis and James for the photographs you posted. The rings are great, i am going to try a simple twisted wire handle first. I will message you once i get started on them.
    Well done James on the spun top did you do some samples first in base metal or plunged straight in?
    Also i have done a few jobs in 9ct, did you use the same and found there was a lot of annealing required?

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Spinner View Post
    Thanks Dennis and James for the photographs you posted. The rings are great, i am going to try a simple twisted wire handle first. I will message you once i get started on them.
    Well done James on the spun top did you do some samples first in base metal or plunged straight in?
    Also i have done a few jobs in 9ct, did you use the same and found there was a lot of annealing required?
    I spun the vase top on a brass shape I turned, I did make a silver one first and the gold one was 18ct. which is the metal I work in most. My customers were mostly middle eastern and didn't regard 9ct. as gold.

James