Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Emerald cut emerald halo split shank Pavé ring

Default Emerald cut emerald halo split shank Pavé ring

I designed the ring in CAD, Its for a friend, I did a heart feature in the split shank that you can only see when you hold the ring at the right angle ,which I was proud of lol. Then I Wax printed model ready for casting.The sprues were included in the print its important to get them correct so the metal flows correctly and you get a nice cast.

I cast in silver first to have some models to practice my setting on so I could work out what size stones and burrs I need, Im still new to setting so it all helps

Once I was confident enough I cast the model in gold, the main shank is white gold and the inner part and claws are yellow gold ,this is because I plan to use an emerald cut emerald as the main stone and the yellow gold makes the colour of the stone look deeper. the ring looks a bit rough but it needs cleaning up yet I have given it a file and a rough sand to remove the grow lines from the printing process. Also you can see the surface of my new bench it looks really scratched but I think its just the close up that does that, it looks ok when your sat at it !

I started to cut up the Halo up using a ball burr and a cylinder burr. this can be done in cad but it does not give the same effect as doing it manually

to be continued ..............................
    Last edited by josef1; 20-10-2016 at 01:26 AM. Reason: vision to digit error

You've got us on the edge of our seats now joseph.

Looking good Josef!
    Do you do CAD/casting for other people too?

What an interesting process!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Looking good Josef!
    Do you do CAD/casting for other people too?
    Thanks, not really, I could do but would I have to fit it around work so cant promise delivery etc, I still have test parts to cast for Peter and that was from ages ago I will get them done though! I can do one off bits if it helps out but coming up to Chrismas Im usually pretty busy

I set the halo stones this evening still needs cleaning up, I took the picture with my phone so its not the best

Ok thanks Josef, just thought I would ask as I have a ring to make that I think would be easier to do in CAD but no worries I will do it by hand ( I hope lol! )

Coming along nicely! Looking forwards to the next installment

The shoulder stone cut up ready to try the stones in. I need to open them up a bit to make things work

Atmospheric shot lol

The halo and shoulders have all been set and I have polished things up ready for setting the main stone

The main stone fitted in place its a bit big for the setting but I have managed to squeeze it in. Still have to set it though so we will see !
    Last edited by josef1; 23-10-2016 at 01:40 PM.