Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition September 2016 - Back to School

Default Theme Competition September 2016 - Back to School

Hello all,

September means it's that time of the academic year again - back to school!

This month our BACK TO SCHOOL themed competition is the perfect way to showcase something new, whether you want to offer a design that uses a new skill you have recently mastered or uses a new material, or indeed a back to school themed design could also be your entry of choice - the possibilities are endless!

The winner will get a £100 Cooksongold shopping spree - just submit your design on this thread by midnight, 30th September to enter.

Good luck!

Terms & Conditions:

The closing date for the competition will be at midnight GMT 30.09.16.

The judging will take place on 03.10.16. The following criteria are used to determine the winner: design, the technique used and the overall finish of the piece. The Cooksongold judging panel will make the final decision.

The winner will be announced and notified via the forum by 07.10.16. The winner must redeem their shopping spree (up to the value of £100 excluding VAT) using their own Cooksongold account and within 2 months of receiving their winner notification email.

In the case of the winner's shopping spree exceeding the value of £100 (excluding VAT), the winner is liable to pay for any amount over the value of £100.

The competition is open to all Cooksongold customers aged 18 years and over. Only one entry per person.

Employees of Cooksongold, their agents and families are excluded from the competition together with any person connected to the competition.

To enter the competition, simply comment on the relevant forum thread with a photo of your themed design. No correspondence will be entered into.

All designs submitted must be the original work of the individual submitting them and must not infringe the rights of any other party. Cooksongold reserves the right to contact an entrant for further clarification if necessary.

Cooksongold reserves the right to disqualify any entry if it has reasonable grounds to believe you have breached any of these terms and conditions.

In submitting your design, you give your permission for it to be included in any marketing or any other promotional material connected with this draw, and for Cooksongold to upload your design to Instagram and Pinterest if it is chosen as the winner. Copyright for all images submitted for this draw remains with the respective entrants.

Entry into the competition is deemed as acceptance of the rules.

Cooksongold reserves the right to amend these rules at any time and to cancel or amend the competition if for any reason we believe it cannot be conducted fairly or in accordance with these terms and conditions.

Imagery associated with this competition is not representative of the exact prize, and is for marketing purposes only. Cookson Precious Metals Ltd reserves the right to change the prize for one of equivalent value.

The promoter is Cookson Precious Metals Ltd. Please note that competitions and promotions featured on this page are in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by or associated with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest.

You are providing your information to: Cookson Precious Metals Ltd, 59-83 Vittoria Street, Birmingham, B1 3NZ, United Kingdom.

The information you provide will only be passed to external partners e.g. couriers to enable the awarding of prizes.

No purchase necessary. There is no cash alternative.

These terms and conditions shall be governed in accordance with English law.

Hi everyone,

We are now a few days into this month's BACK TO SCHOOL themed competition - don't forget to submit your entry!

We look forward to seeing what designs you all have in store

Good luck!

Jen

Hello,

We are now almost halfway through this month's 'Back to School' competition and we are still looking for that first entry - so don't forget to submit yours!

Remember, your piece doesn't necessarily have to be a school theme, it can also have been made using a new technique or material that you have discovered. Best of luck!

Jen

I may as well set the ball rolling I suppose...
    I haven't made anything to do with school Im afraid but just finished this for a friends daughters 21st birthday with inlaid Jade which was a new technique for me.
    Sterling silver cast in Delft clay from a piece of local cork oak, inlaid Jade as her name is Jade and set with 2 sapphires as September birthstones.
    Approximately 17mm square.
    I always love learning new techniques so enjoyed making it a lot
    I wonder if anybody knows a UK supplier of crushed stones? I had to crush this myself which was rather time consuming and I know people in the US just buy it crushed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jadependant.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	9424

My second back to school is the reverse ,my friend wanted a 'hand written style font' so having just got my new Lindsay Airgraver I engraved this on the back.
    Im still getting used to it and the writing is not fancy at all but its certainly a lot easier than with a plain graver.

Name:	jadependantback.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	9442

My entry is this rose gold stacker set, I've been making it gradually (for myself ) and finished the morganite ring a few weeks ago, usually with this style of ring I would use ready made tube but as it only comes in one size I've had to make my own! I made one for a customer too and that's gone to America. I'm also pleased with how the Rose Quartz turned out as I made the setting for that from scratch too! I made my own bearing wire from rose gold strip as a starting point.

I might make another ring to add to the set but I'm not sure yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter has just started high school and is enjoying Design Tech. It's been interesting seeing her homework (she has a jewellery project at the moment), and it got me thinking about doing something different with something I make regularly.
    I know these big beastie rings aren't everyone's cup of tea, but here it is! Silver ring with reticulation, citrine, peridot and a sapphire and a big chalcedony cabochon. For a bit of fun I added some strontium aluminate behind the stone, so now it glows in the dark. The translucence of the chalcedony means you don't see anything unusual until the lights are off. I've now got a fair few pieces ready for stones to be set next week for an upcoming fair, and this tickled me so much there will be glowing cufflinks, earrings, necklaces and more rings. I'm very tempted not to mention it, and just imagine how people will react when their jewellery just starts glowing...excuse rubbish pic of it glowing, my phone camera hated the low light.

Name:	lyd1.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	9450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lyd2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	9451

So pleased to see some lovely entries this month - saves me from having to show mine which fitted in with the back to school theme only because everything that could go wrong did go wrong and if there was a mistake to be made then I made it. My DT teacher would definitely have sent me to sit in the corner to write lines. On the positive side I have learned a lot and will do better next time.

Anyway, enough of my failure and on to the successes ...

Sarah - I really like the pendant you've made, the oak gives a really interesting texture. Can I ask how you inlaid the jade? Did you burr a channel for it and then rub over?

Charlotte - the stacker rings are beautiful - stunning photograph too.

Lydia - I love your big rings and even better that they glow in the dark! What an original idea. Now off to google strontium aluminate.

Susieq

Just in time, before the bell!

A bookmark, old school satchel with an apple for the teacher. Memories of shiny new school shoes and the first page in a brand new exercise book. The road to the first day of a new school year was always paved with good intentions!

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	9453