Thread: Messy bezels

Default Messy bezels

Hello, I started making rings about 5 months ago and my bezel setting seem messy and rough. I've included some pictures. Does anybody have any advice on how to make them cleaner, smoother and more professional looking?

Many thanks
    Michael

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	9162Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0339.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	9163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	9164

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am no expert, but what I do after I have soldered on the bezel, file the edge to a knife edge, then rub a very fine file flat over the edge to take off the knife part of the edge and I find when pushed over it looks a bit chewed otherwise. Be very careful what tools you use to push over the stone, I have a square pusher which will leave marks if not used carefully so I put a small piece of suede over it to protect the silver, then I use a bezel smoother to even out any bumps.

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AKT and http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...prcode-999-AJL

What Pat said is the way I also prepare and close bezels, for the first closing of the bezel I use my home made bezel pusher made from copper rod set in a wooden graver handle. For finishing the setting I do use my hammer head attachment on my pendant motor. Then I carefully file the bezel closure and if required I will use a scorper to tidy up the bezel edge.

Name:	417 copper pusher.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	9165 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04 silver ring,bezel set lab pink sapphire.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	9166

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 29-07-2016 at 09:34 AM.

I can't control a scorper, it seems to go in jumps so I end up with it more ragged than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Patstone View Post
    I can't control a scorper, it seems to go in jumps so I end up with it more ragged than before.
    If your scorper doesn't cut cleanly then it is probably not sharp enough Pat. This shows the cutting end of one of my scorpers.

Name:	405 Scorper sheet.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	9167

James

I also agree with Pat keep the bezel as thin as possible where it goes over the stone, Im always surprised how little metal you actually need to secure a stone

James, I was about to order some copper rod, or maybe brass rod, to make a bezel pusher similar to the one you use, when I saw this thread (I think the idea may have come to me from another mention of the same by yourself in a past thread) May I ask what size copper rod you use personally.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kay View Post
    James, I was about to order some copper rod, or maybe brass rod, to make a bezel pusher similar to the one you use, when I saw this thread (I think the idea may have come to me from another mention of the same by yourself in a past thread) May I ask what size copper rod you use personally.

Paul
    My pusher is made from 4mm. diameter copper rod Paul.

Most things have already been said, but here are some thoughts:

Ready made bezel material is flimsy and difficult to manage. Cut your own, or order it ready cut from 0.4mm fine silver sheet.

If you start with a messy bezel, it will only get worse, so finish it well with the stone out, before setting. As Pat has said, put an outside bevel on it to create a sharp but neat edge. If trying in the stone, lay dental floss across the floor of the bezel cup, to yank it out again, or it could get stuck.

If like me you are not handy with scorpers, render one edge of a needle file (flat or half round) safe, by grinding and polishing it. This can then be used close to stones.

Lastly finish the sides and top with small medium and fine silicon rubber wheels. Dennis.