Thread: Has anyone tried soldering with these...

Default Has anyone tried soldering with these...

For a different but related project I'm wondering has anyone tried soldering with these: http://www.cooksongold.com/Beads/Ste...code-NVQ-101X?

They're pre made SEMI solid silver balls. They say suitable for low / med temp soldering (and I'd use easy solder), I'm just wondering has anyone tried it, and how likely there are to a) explode or b) turn themselves into an actual red hot silver bullet?

I have safety glasses but thats all.

Thanks
    Faith

Cant make out what they are like from the illustration, but if they do not have an enclosed hollow, they should be safe with medium and easy solder as suggested.

If an object contains air or another gas, it must be vented to create an escape route before heating. If subsequently pickled it will suck in pickle which should be neutralised and well washed out for fear of harming the wearer. Dennis.

They're completed sealed, with reasonably thick walls I think but ultimately hollow in the middle. Well on the downside I'll have to return them, on the upside I haven't tried to heat any yet. Silly of me really, I knew better!

maybe I'll use some failed bezel wire and try making my own! I think I have a little round burr about the right size.

I use these daily, only with easy solder, and have never had a problem.

You can make your own pretty easily, but sterling does tend to pit when balled up, so they're not necessarily going to be perfect.

Oh super, and I presume your not drilling them or anything first? they just stand up to the internal pressure?

Many thanks
    Faith

No drilling, no special prep - just go in pretty fast and hot and they're fine. They don't stand up to prolonged heating, but because they're so small, they just pop and implode if you overdo it - certainly no bits of flying metal or anything like that.

Thanks George, well encouraged by the "no bits of flying metal" I just had a go with one and it soldered fine first time

Thanks again
    Faith