Name:	P1000557a.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	8672Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000559a.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	8674
    My question is.....seeing these first attempts, what do you consider should be my next step? I know the rings are not highly polished but my wife insists they reduce arthritic pains in her hands so I have had to briefly prise them off her!
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 13-02-2016 at 02:08 PM.

Whatever you would like it to be !
    I particularly like the pendant, how did you do the lettering?

I would suggest a nice hammered copper bangle for your wife. If you are on FaceBook, check out this group;https://www.facebook.com/groups/CreativeMetalForming/

James

Well you have mastered making rings and I take it they fit OK and have medicinal properties as well. I would suggest working on the other basics:

How to fit brooch pins and fasteners, how to make ear wires and fit ear posts, making fasteners and attaching pendants to chains for necklaces etc.

There will soon come a time when a basic mini torch is not hot enough for bigger projects, such as cuffs and bangles, so you will also need to research larger torches.

I hope you will stay with us. Welcome to the forum, Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Whatever you would like it to be !
    I particularly like the pendant, how did you do the lettering?
    I cut/piercing sawed the A out of 0.3mm brass sheet that I have for making clock movement stays with. Then needle filed to neaten it. I soldered the brass onto the copper using Tix 400c mp solder, thinly tinning the back of the cut out then fluxing it and placed it in position on the copper, then heated till the solder melted. Nobody was more surprised than me that the solder didn't spread out from under the brass!
    Thank you all for your encouraging comments and for being "kind"!!

It's great that you feel motivated to do this kind of work. I have a friend who is an amateur horologist and I've been dibbing into watchmaking books (esp. George Daniels) lately. If I was younger I think I'd be seriously tempted to begin horology. But it's such a long road, and even if you're accomplished it can take years just to make one watch. What are the first things a budding horologist should attempt, in your view? Repairs on low value watches?

My horology work is entirely on clocks not watches. In my opinion watches are too small for my eyes. I started and cut my teeth (ha ha) on some cheap India copies of American clocks. £15 or so. Read a lot and made a friend of a professional. Very interesting but as I have said not original. Your work should be invisible! There are some excellent videos available as well. Repair work is very rewarding bringing life back to what is called "a sleeper".
    Last edited by Ruedeleglise; 13-02-2016 at 05:27 PM.

I have a horologist friend in East Anglia who did all of the movements fitted in the clocks I made in the past, his name is Paul Mason, perhaps you know him? See;http://www.paulmasonfbhi.com/index.htm

James
    Last edited by Goldsmith; 13-02-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruedeleglise View Post
    I cut/piercing sawed the A out of 0.3mm brass sheet that I have for making clock movement stays with. Then needle filed to neaten it. I soldered the brass onto the copper using Tix 400c mp solder, thinly tinning the back of the cut out then fluxing it and placed it in position on the copper, then heated till the solder melted. Nobody was more surprised than me that the solder didn't spread out from under the brass!
    Transferable skills are fun