Thread: Australian boulder opal...

Default Australian boulder opal...

Hi all, I've bought myself some pieces of this gorgeous stone and wondered if anyone could give me an idea of it's suitability for setting in a ring? One piece had a little flake off the edge and bezel setting it as a practice piece resulted in more cracking...lesson learned was to allow the stone a bit more space...but I'd like to know if you gurus would consider it more suitable for pendants and earrings than rings that are going to be more vulnerable to day to day bashing...? Cheers and happy Wednesday x

I suppose flaking of the matrix is why most boulder opals are now permeated with something to make them shiny. Personally I like them raw.

Rings are subject to daily knocks, but if you have a piece with a central valley, that can be bezel set, then at least for your own use it should work.

The matrix is easily shaped and modified with rotary diamonds and diamond sharpening plates. Dennis.

Thanks so much for replying Dennis, much appreciated x

beautiful things they are too - if it is very soft (and pieces are coming away) then I'd def. go for a pendant to show it off. Dennis is right though, I've used opals of all kinds in rings - they need a gentler touch as they are fairly fragile, but worth it in gorgeousness! Love to see what you make!

Thanks Lydia...once I've worked out how to post a pic I'll do that...I am tragically un-tech minded so must summon the Teenager...