Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melting scrap gold

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	6.1 KB 
ID:	8666Thanks again for all of the information. When I posted this question I had already made some of the components, but after seeing the responses here I cut out the solder sections and remelted everything with the addition of 5% 24ct grain. Hopefully this will give the right quality for hall marking. I checkd with the assay office and they said that they will call if there is an issue. So the spinner ring is now made just waiting for a final polish after its been assayed.

Thanks again

That's a good looking ring now. You should be well pleased. Dennis.

Hi!
    You clearly have knowledge in this area I was wondering if I could pick your brain please?
    I have two yellow gold rings to melt down for a customer to make their wedding bands out of. They are aware that I haven't done this before but I want to get it right! They want me to turn it into rose gold. Would I just add some red gold grain to the mix to achieve this or can I not mix them up like this?
    Also am I meant to prepare my scorifier with borax powder and heat first? I haven't used it yet!
    I really appreciate your time and any advice that you can give me.
    Thanks
    Kiri :-)

You are not getting any answers Kiri, so here are some thoughts to bring you to the top of the page again.

You have not said what carat your rings to be melted are. It would be easiest if your addition were the same carat. You can add casting grains of red gold, but it would take a substantial addition to make a difference to the colour, which could be costly.

You would probably have to guess how much, given that you have to allow for the sprues too, and then let the customer see a polished surface, to approve it before going further. Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 02-07-2016 at 10:27 AM.