Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economy rolling mill

Default Economy rolling mill

For those that can't afford a Durston yet, just spotted that Cooksons are now selling an economy version (product 999 AXWA)

Great price guys These are good entry level machines for the occasional user IMO. The gearing also makes them easy to use for the feeble (like me!)

Mine arrived last week, Can't wait to start using it, just been too busy to play however last orders are due out this week so friday has been pencilled in as playtime

I bought one of these about 6 months ago as I couldn't afford a Durston and I've been happy with it - I'm not a heavy user of the rolling mill so it's great for me and does the texturing of silver sheet that I need
    Kym

I'm hoping for world peace but I'd also like something shiny as well...

www.kymbigwood.com

I did see that one and um-ed and ah-ed between them, but I'm never going to have my redundancy money again so I thought I'd go for the next one up.

The guy in the HMRC workshop said to buy all my big equipment in the first year as it will reduce my tax liability, and as I have gone into the higher tax bracket with my redundancy payment, I need all the reduction I can get (which means I also have to make a 'loss' this tax year)!

I'm sure I could help you with that. I need a rolling mill, kiln, smelting set up ... etc., so feel free to spend your redundancy money over here.
    Linda

Thanks for that post George i know what i am getting for xmas know

Ooh Linda...yes a Kiln, because I would like a whole Lampworking set up as well! I will see how everything is going up to Christmas and see what New Year brings. It also depend on what hubby's new shed yields. He is just putting the slate roof on and has promised me one side of the shed (this thing is brick built and 7 x 15 ft - I get a 7ft side with a work top all the way across and a window). But that is only if everything of his from the garage goes in it as the corrugated iron garage is coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by mizgeorge View Post
    For those that can't afford a Durston yet, just spotted that Cooksons are now selling an economy version (product 999 AXWA)

Great price guys These are good entry level machines for the occasional user IMO. The gearing also makes them easy to use for the feeble (like me!)
    Hi George
    Any recommendations to either the economy mill or the next mill up? I am just considering going for a mill whilst the freepost is live. Is there much difference between the two? The economy looks ideal as I am not likely to produce hundreds and hundreds of pieces but want to texture and flatten and length silver wire.......
    Christine
    Regards Christine

I'm not the best person to ask Christine - if I could afford (and could justify) a Durston, I'd get one, though I'd want one with some gearing for sure.

For the amount of stuff I do, I'm delighted with my cheap one. I have a second set of plain rollers for it so I can do wider pieces, as I mainly texture rather than mill wire. If I ever found myself rich, I'd cheerfully upgrade, but for now, I'm quite happy with what I've got!

Geeeeeeooooorge...you said texturing - what do you use for texturing and how do you do it effectively? I have peacock feathers, skeleton leaves etc, do they just go on top of the silver and then you roll away? I've also heard about texturing rollers and brass plates...?