Thread: 9ct White Gold going black?

Default 9ct White Gold going black?

Hi. Has anyone else ever had any problems with white gold jewellery tarnishing a black colour?

Any advice on what's causing it or how to stop it would be really appreciated.

Thank you

If its 9 ct it could be caused by whatever is used to make the 62.5% difference up with,you could rhodium plate but it will require redoing periodically

Hi Lucie,

I regularly use 9ct white for one of my wearers who lives in a hot humid climate, because sterling tarnishes so quickly there.

However eventually that tarnishes too, but is easily revived in Silver Dip.

So, accept that it is eventually going to tarnish (beauty products are sometimes to blame) and treat as silver. Storing in a closed bag or container with anti-tarnish tabs or strips helps.

Dennis.

Thanks for the advice!! This has never been a problem for me before, so is REALLY unusual.

If it's being worn every day, I'm guessing that it will continue to happen even if I remove the tarnish that's already there?
    Would Rhodium plating completely stop this?

Only until the rhodium plating wears off Lucie, then the same progression to black would occur.....

Thanks Jill. Do you think it's a good idea to routinely plate everything made in 9ct white? It's not an issue with 9ct yellow or 18ct.

To be honest, it's not been an issue before, I just like everything to be perfect.t
    Last edited by Lucie; 30-07-2015 at 09:56 PM.

I use Argentium 960 - brighter and whiter than the rest, with much better tarnish resistance.
    http://www.argentiumsilver.com/#!__a...and-fact-file-
    Click on the pdf fact file link to see how it compares with other metals/alloys.
    Last edited by ajda; 31-07-2015 at 06:50 AM.

Is the forum playing up? I had difficulty submitting this, then it appeared twice, so I'm overwriting the 2nd version with this edit...
    Last edited by ajda; 31-07-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I use Argentium 960 - brighter and whiter than the rest, with much better tarnish resistance.
    http://www.argentiumsilver.com/#!__a...and-fact-file-
    Click on the pdf fact file link to see how it compares with other metals/alloys.

Hiya. I generally use Argentium for most of my silver castings now. Lovely & white.
    Unfortunately, most customers still want gold these days.
    Think it might be a good idea to rhodium plate the 9ct white ones - it's just unfortunate that it'll push the prices up

I rhodium plate most 9ct white pieces Lucie