Thread: When to say no to a repair job

Default When to say no to a repair job

I've been given a very delicate necklace to see whether I can repair it. Some links are broken (which you may be able to see in the image) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	7879and need soldering to fix - but the wire and components are so delicate and thin, I am worried they will just melt and would like advice on whether I should take it on. I guess one option would be to see if I can repair it with some very fine wire. Let me know what you think. Cheers in advance.

This looks like oxidised silver, but it might not be.

However if you make your own jump rings in stout wire and quite small, it should be possible to repair it without soldering.

The jump rings need not match in size or thickness, giving priority to resistance to opening, as after turning them black with whatever solution you have in hand, it would be difficult to spot them. Dennis.

Yes I dont think I would try soldering it, it looks a bit risky. I was thinking the same as Dennis, small, thin wire jumprings and oxidised to the same colour and it may be ok. Other than that, tell them to go forth and multiply but politely of course. You never know they may come back for something you have made.

I recently had a gold trace chain to repair where the links were 1mm long, 0.25mm wire. Even with the laser that was tricky as my usual welding wire size is 0.25-0.30mm... Not convinced the chain was worth the repair cost, but it had sentimental value.
    I wouldn't touch that with heat either, I'd go with Dennis' suggestion if you want to tackle it.

Thank you all so much , really really helpful. I wanted reassurance that I wasn't being a wuss I shall try with oxidised wire jump rings and see how it goes. Thanks again

Yes, but do fix the jump rings in place first and then oxidise, or you ll get lots of plier marks and have to touch them up. Dennis.

I also think that it would melt very fast!