Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Theme Competition July 2015 – Out & About

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    Why have I never thought of that? So simple!

I think a lot of the wood plugs are turned on a lathe so if you had the inclination, could be turned out fairly quickly.
    I don't think it helps with the cold but the metal to sensitive skin comfort certainly! I don't think I've ever used a lathe.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Jayne/Kathryn - thanks for the info.

I've been looking at images of earplugs and eyelets and am now buzzing with ideas for combining wood with silver for these and wondering if I could find a friendly woodturner to collaborate with. There are some beautiful pieces on the websites of both the companies you mentioned, Jayne - One Tribe Organics and Southshore Adornments. I imagine polymer clay might be a possibility, too - easy to work with, though I don't know how strong and hard-wearing it is...

The nail varnish idea is a good one. Incidentally, one reason I like Argentium, and a reason some customers come looking specifically for it, is that it's better than other metals for sensitive ears - people whose skin is too sensitive for traditional sterling are often OK with Argentium. I think it's because the passive layer of germanium oxide that forms on the surface and protects it from tarnishing also forms a protective shield between the skin and the copper/silver and their oxides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wood plugs.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	7917
    I did attempt wood plugs once but the wood wasn't the right type really.

Kathryn, they are gorgeous - I'd wear them in a heartbeat!

Do you mind me asking how you affixed the silver front on to the plug?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    What bothers me is that many members here are on a low budget, but have ambitions to make a living as jewellers. The lack of funds is a regular complaint.

To enter this competition with a chance of winning a hundred pounds, you need the minimum of tools, you are permitted to use non precious metals and there is no entry fee. If you win, your gains will far exceed the mark up on a sale and you don't even have to part with what you have made.

So what on earth is holding you back? Dennis.
    I made the assumption that you had to use silver or gold! that had been purchased from Cookies, but the main reason I don't enter is simply not having enough time. Life is really really busy and trying to fit in making something for a competition as well is really hard.

However, like others have said, I think it would be very useful to have the next few months competitions listed, so we can all get our thinking caps on and make things for future months competitions.
    Jules

Quote Originally Posted by jayneharrison View Post
    Kathryn, they are gorgeous - I'd wear them in a heartbeat!

Do you mind me asking how you affixed the silver front on to the plug?
    I drilled a hole all the way through then used epoxy to fix long posts through which are soldered to the item just like a very long post. I've been meaning to buy plain plugs and add other designs this way but I struggle to find plain reasonably priced ones to use as materials rather than nice ones meant to be worn as they are!

I love those, Kathryn! And what Jayne suggested - a female threaded tube set in the middle that could accept components with a male threaded post - would work well, perhaps allowing for multiple swappable centrepieces with a single set of plugs. I'm going to look into getting some plain plugs made up, so if I can get them done at reasonable prices I'll let you know. I imagine it's probably best to use a well-seasoned, close-grained hardwood that won't shrink, swell or splinter and will take a good polish.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by ajda View Post
    I love those, Kathryn! And what Jayne suggested - a female threaded tube set in the middle that could accept components with a male threaded post - would work well, perhaps allowing for multiple swappable centrepieces with a single set of plugs. I'm going to look into getting some plain plugs made up, so if I can get them done at reasonable prices I'll let you know. I imagine it's probably best to use a well-seasoned, close-grained hardwood that won't shrink, swell or splinter and will take a good polish.
    Alan
    There are really good guidelines for wood for plugs. It is important to check about oils as some hardwoods have oils that can irritate.
    My swappable idea was to drill a wider hole and glue in one of those rubber butterflies so that you can use all posts in plugs as well as have different plugs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

There should be a Tool Drool sub forum.

I just found this when thinking about wooden plugs! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veritas-Do...item2c7e508d93

It's a misguided pencil sharpener