Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inverted cone burr for cabochon setting

Do you mean 3 cm or mm?

Quote Originally Posted by janiebyford View Post
    Can anyone help me. I am trying to set 3 cm opal cabouchon said into a silver bangle. I would like to use a gypsy setting and have been practising with absolutely no success. Any tips from anyone or should I try a different setting technique ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    3cm?! Or 3mm? Is your silver thick enough?

I've never gypsy set anything that big tbh

Could you back set it instead?

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry I meant 3 mm wide. I mm deep. My bangle is 2 cm deep so it should work. What am I doing wrong?

Ps I am a novice, what is back setting and how do y do it?

When setting stones into bangles and bracelets, they are easily dislodged by flexing and knocks, so they need to be firmly set.
    The 3mm cab will be best set using a short bit of tubing. Gipsy setting of cabs increases with difficulty if the sides are very sloping, because it is difficult to move enough metal without making a mess and having weak retention. It is mostly used for faceted stones, which end up flush (hence it is also called flush setting).

Backsetting, or setting from the back, can be done by making a hole which is marginally too small, inserting the stone from the back and keeping it in place with lugs, tubing, or spurs made with a scorper.

It is not possible here to teach stone setting to beginners, because of the lengthy instructions required. At best we can help with trouble shooting, once you get some idea.

The best advice is to look at books or U tube and practice with cheap stones and cheap metal such as CZs and copper. Dennis.

Really helpful I'll try again and post pictures of the results thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk