Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Itsy Bitsy.

Default Itsy Bitsy.

Having spent time making rings from itsy bitsy pieces of wire, it was inevitable that I would be asked to make something to match: as it turned out, a shamrock cuff.

I have never enjoyed making things at a distance, partly because I get pleasure from seeing them worn and partly because people are remarkably casual about measuring and sizing.

However I sent a sizer first, made from a length of scrap brass wire, using the information given and more by luck than judgement hit on the right size. The message came back that it fitted perfectly and who would argue with that?

Next I designed some outline shamrocks to fill the spaces, made from short pieces of wire. They were surprisingly tough to bend up, even from rolled down and annealed 1.0mm wire and I was pleased to have my Tronex pliers, which had less tendency to cross when stressed.

When researching shamrocks, I read that they were taken by St Patrick to symbolise the Holy Trinity, so it is a nonsense to have a four leafed shamrock. But four leaf clovers are thought of as lucky by some, so I included an 18ct one for fun.

Dimension of frame: 12mm x 175mm
    Frame made from 2.5mm sterling wire, drawn down to almost square, to retain the rounded edges.
    Wire for shamrocks, rolled down from 1.0 mm round to be 0.6x1.4mm rectangular.
    Gap for wrist to pass through, 30 mm.
    Wrist size as measured: 17.5mm, so my gap is 0.5mm wider than requested. Dennis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sb1  Brass sizer.jpg   sb2  Bits and Pieces.jpg   sb3 Raised On Mica.jpg   sb4 Shamrock Cuff.jpg  

Thats beautiful Dennis! thanks for sharing the process too

As always Dennis, another beautiful piece from you.

And as always, a question from me - it looks like you have a backing in the third photo - presumably something to keep all the pieces together whilst soldering. Did you solder with the backing in place and if so, did you use a resist to stop the solder from flowing onto it?

Wow, that's gorgeous Dennis.

That's beautiful Dennis and thank you again for showing all your processes. I love the idea of extra 18ct one just for fun - a lovely touch.
    Jules

simply beautiful

Wonderful!
    Using Tapatalk

Thank you all for liking my new cuff.

Suzie the shamrocks were fully formed before inserting them into the frame. In this case I preferred to solder from the front, so as to position them more exactly.
    The strips of thin mica were put in first to raise the shamrocks to the required level.

Mica is a mineral that is found in sheets in electrical appliances with a hearting element. You can also find it very cheaply from Amazon and E Bay as microwave spares. Like soldering brick it will not stick to solder or be affected by heat. It can be cut with a saw and split into thinner pieces with a craft knife.

My purpose in these show and tells is to share what I have learned from them, so questions are always welcome. dennis

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Dennis, your skills and talent never seem to end!

beautiful in all aspects - and without any 'luck of the Oirish'. (as my Uncle Rory would have said)

mica is a really good sheet to use when soldering - to also deflect the heat on delicate chains too.

Dennis, that's such a lovely bangle, so delicate too. Really interesting how you used the mica as well.
    Sue.