Thread: Spinning rings

Default Spinning rings

Please forgive me if this is a really dumb question… but looking at the spinning ring designs it seems like you can have a central band sitting inside a wider band and I was just wondering how you would solder the central band without risking the solder running onto the main band?
    Thanks in advance

I did mine with the sidewall as the last solder. Kinda locking the spinning band in.

(If that makes sense - and I haven't misunderstood your question )
    Last edited by Vos; 05-04-2015 at 11:54 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Hi Sarah - no such thing as a dumb question IMO. Started to write an explanation but this link to a Soham Harrison youtube tutorial does a much better job - hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8jiJwjGjU

Fab! thanks very much Vos and Suzie!
    I was being dumb, I normally cut a channel in my rings for the horsehair braids to sit in so was trying to work out how to sit another ring inside that and solder it in place.
    But now I can see the other two ways of doing it thanks both!

To do in situ I'd guess you'd need a smiths little torch and go in fast, hot and local. And plenty of solder block/tippex/rouge on the inner ring maybe? But I'm only thinking out loud

Hope you crack it cos I reckon that'd look good on your rings. We need more spinny stuff
    Last edited by Vos; 06-04-2015 at 11:12 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

I would really love pics for whenever people write questions like this about art deco jewellery and the newer methods of crafting. It'd be good for taking on apprentices and showing them in theory how this stuff is supposed to work. Then again, nobody is ever going to really have time to take pictures of themselves during the soldering process haha!

Andrew -
    1. This question has nothing to do with art deco jewellery.
    2. This is not a new method of crafting, it's been around for a long time.
    3. If all you are doing is trying to drive up hits to your site, this isn't going to be a long stay for you.

I have just made two spinner rings. You make a flat ring then using a dome punch or something you spread each side equally having put the finished inner ring on. Make sure that the bigger ringis annealed before spreading it.