Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding ring alterations. (Mine!!!!)

Default Wedding ring alterations. (Mine!!!!)

My wedding ring and eternity ring are getting quite thin, they are set with diamonds (both before I started making jewellery and both from Samuels). I want to keep the originals in the design of the new one. I wear both together,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140422_141027_Android.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	7514

Question is, can anyone come up with a design that I can use both rings in a new setting as it obviously has sentimental value to me. The diamonds are channel set, I wondered whether to cut both at the end of the diamonds and put a wide band inside the two and solder it on, but not sure if the diamonds will stand the heat even with "heat stop" on them. Opinions please.....

I won't comment on design or soldering as I'm not qualified. Is the setting ok or worn?
    No point putting on a new shank if the top is worn out..you'll be better off re-doing the whole thing from scratch in that case.

No the setting isn't worn, its just where the two rings rub together the opposite side to the setting. One is 18ct and the other is 9ct.

And there's the rub! Sorry!

Would someone with a Puk welder be able to sort it out for you maybe?

I don't know, too risky for me I think.

If it were me Pat, I would consider 2 options......firstly recover the diamonds to reuse and then, either.....scrap the gold in towards the costs and materials of a remake or melt up the metal (bearing in mind you will end up with less than 18ct and more than 9ct if assayed), plus, if choosing the latter option, some fresh metal purchased for the new setting(s). Better to be wearing some/most of the originals than none or losing some of the stones. Hope you find a solution

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

seems like a few decisions are needed Pat.

my view on your query echo what has been said, but also:-

any designs are going to be what you want it to look like in the end - the important thing is to stop any more deterioration. You have to wear it and the sentimental value could be completely lost if they are changed. Regarding your query with the stones. Diamonds, will cope with the heat if they are covered, have no direct flames / heat and have no cracks and are allowed to cool down on their own. I have done several repairs with them in place, although preferably, and ideally, it would be best to take them out and reset them.

Channel setting isn't as easy as flush setting by a long margin.

all in all, it may be a good thing to think about a laser connection that can also build them together. As you are wanting to do the reboot of the rings, this isn't likely to be something I guess you would be looking at in the real world. Although, I would just bite the bullet and ask our lovely Peter to make it so they are both put together and the shanks built up.

Then of course, there would be a need for the assay office to strike one of the markings out. Only one hallmark per item is allowed and the 9ct will stay in preference as it is the lower carat.

Having said all this, it really is what you want and if that is to do it yourself. a temporary fix to keep them from rubbing together using a simple bit of plastic might give you some time for experimenting with designs and ideas, a little practice and more development of skills.

wish you well on what you select

xx Wallace

If I solder the backs together at least it will stop them rubbing together, that is where the wear is not the thickness of them. Its not that its very sentimental I suppose any more than any other wedding ring would be, but after having one failed marriage and then a 10 year hell hole with someone after that I vowed to live on my own for the rest of my life and not live with anyone again. Then I met the straightest, honest and caring man anyone could wish for, and I must admit my resolve vanished. We have our ups and downs as most couples but I know that we will be together for the rest of our lives. So dont really want to damage the ring, but it is only a token I suppose not life threatening.

does the wedding ring follow the curve of the eternity ring, Pat?

ETA: in a similar sentimental vein, the other half is a photographer and we have a dustbin full of used fix which has a silver content of about 5g per litre. In discussing the renewal of our vows, I thought it would be really cool if I made matching rings using the silver recovered from the photography. That was three years ago and I'm no further along, although we do have more silver to potentially recover.
    Last edited by medusa; 24-03-2015 at 03:48 PM.

yes it is the shape only with a few more diamonds in, the engagement ring is just the right shape to fit in the "v" bit.