Thread: The Solbrig Casting Machine-A Sunday Topic.

Default The Solbrig Casting Machine-A Sunday Topic.

When I was just a lad, one of my great pleasures was watching my father use his improvised casting machine.

It was just the wheel from a bike, mounted vertically on the floor and with a hook on the rim. One of the spokes had a wooden grip and from the hook you could suspend a red hot casting ring containing the investment with its wax burnt out and a funnel shape at the top for gold.

The gold was heated with a large torch and when the gold surface appeared to be spinning, he gave the wheel an almighty yank so that it would turn at some speed.

Round and round went the casting ring making a red circle, but gradually cooling until the wheel stopped.

The point of all this is that one could only cast very small items with any hope of success, so with great expectations he eventually ordered a Solbrig casting machine. This was simply a heavy base to centre the casting ring and a hinged iron lid with a long lever.

You filled the lid with a disk of wet asbestos (now you would use a substitute) and when the gold was ready, brought the lid down firmly onto the top of the casting ring. The steam generated would drive the molten metal into the mould. This was far more reliable even for larger castings.

I have often wondered why this method is not being used now in small workshops, as it is more versatile than Delft Clay, and relatively simple and inexpensive. Dennis.

I hadn't realised that your father was in to this malarky too Dennis!

Is that where you're interest came from? Did you learn from him? Was he in 'the trade'??
    Not meant to be an inquisition.....just interested?!

I use a Solbrig given to me by the Maxillo-Facial Lab at a hospital where I used to work. It is an excellent system allowing me to cast multiple items in a flask.
    It is very simple to use and far less intimidating than a centrifuge. A few filter papers replace the asbestos.

I think the reason for it not being used more is simply scarcity and lack of information. Searches on the internet return a negligible number of references and not an inkling of one for sale.

I did see something that sounds similar on EBay once, but only once. There's a fair few tutorials around on steam casting, this is just a commercial variant. I suspect the general paranoia around asbestos puts people off.

(Yes, I do know this thread is almost celebrating its first birthday)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    I did see something that sounds similar on EBay once, but only once. There's a fair few tutorials around on steam casting, this is just a commercial variant. I suspect the general paranoia around asbestos puts people off.

(Yes, I do know this thread is almost celebrating its first birthday)
    If I had seen it, I would have bought it immediately. They are like hen's teeth
    My local blacksmith has made a larger cap for mine, to enable me to make bespoke belt buckles for my son-in-law's business. I'm considering asking him if he can reproduce the entire frame and advertising it to small workshops and hobbyists who shy away from casting because of the scary nature of centrifuges.

Around the first birthday of this thread, I am waving the flag for the Solbrig-Platschick system. It works very well for me.