Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vallorbe Buff files

Thanks for your reply, Dennis.

My location means I've no choice but to buy online, and I did think it was reasonable to assume from the description that a "safety back" meant a safety back. The problem with these buff files is that you can't easily create a safety edge on them yourself as unlike standard files they are diamond coated, and in this case diamond coated on all three sides.

Besides this new buff file I've got no.2, no.4 and no.6 standard barrette needle files. I use them all and they're all excellent, i.e. they never mark stones. Judging by the inconsistencies in the Vallorbe catalogue it's beginning to look like Vallorbe have lost the plot a bit in the description of their own product line, and I've ended up being the guinea pig they needed to point this out to them. This is not the only time recently I've acted as a guinea pig for a manufacturer who hasn't done his homework properly. I'm sure we've all got similar tales to tell.

Mark.

I use and adapt the thin wooden 'sticks' that some coffee chains supply for stirring coffee or wooden kebab skewers. Wrap emery, wet and dry or whatever around, secure with masking tape and file away.

You know the coffee shops around Hatton garden never put out any coffee stirrers. Now we know why. Dennis.

I've been using some interesting double-sided tape to make up emery sticks - one that's so thin it's little more than 2 layers of adhesive. I'm not certain that I'd find the Vallorbe buff sticks better (and I'm not spending that on them to find out!). A strange situation for a tool junky.

I've had confirmation from Cookson that the description by both Vallorbe and Cookson was wrong. Neither of the "barrette" buff files (standard and escapement) has a safety back; both are diamond coated all over. This means both are useless for filing next to stones. Cookson have amended their description but they're still calling them barrette files (which, given the absence of safety backs, is a misnomer, I think) and the cross-sectional image of the cut profile of the escapement file still needs amending, as it still suggests it has a safety back.

For the moment, the make-do-and-mend practice of sticking emery to lolly-sticks is the best way to go - for any money.
    Last edited by Aurarius; 03-03-2015 at 02:39 PM.

As I've said before like Tabby I have always wrapped my emery paper around either hand or needle files that way there is no flex and the sanding is more even

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    You know the coffee shops around Hatton garden never put out any coffee stirrers. Now we know why. Dennis.
    I drink an awful lot of coffee ;-)