Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting an opal

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

Quote Originally Posted by ps_bond View Post
    Super Sculpey is a PVC-based hardening "clay", as opposed to an epoxy putty.
    I have some of that - it is very nice to play with - brings back memories of when I used to work in a day service that supported vulnerable people.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    My goodness Wallace, you've got a good memory! I don't remember him saying that but I probably wasn't concentrating.
    lol - bane of my life! My late husband used to quickly end any arguments. lol.

Beautiful ring Josef!

Am I being dim, is James saying you leave the sculpey in?

@Josef1, that is a beautiful ring indeed!

However opals are prepared by grinding. The only reasons to be too careful about grinding the back a little flatter would be
    1) the price of the stone / its ability to be replaced i.e. sentimental value
    2) doublets / triplets etc (if the stone is manufactured) would be ruined

Quote Originally Posted by metalsmith View Post
    @Josef1, that is a beautiful ring indeed!

However opals are prepared by grinding. The only reasons to be too careful about grinding the back a little flatter would be
    1) the price of the stone / its ability to be replaced i.e. sentimental value
    2) doublets / triplets etc (if the stone is manufactured) would be ruined
    Thanks I like rose gold with opals, I didn't say you couldn't, I just personally thought It should be avoided, your making the item anyway so make it fit the stone especially if its customers goods.

I had a fairly successful grind of the opal rough I bought in the summer, but if it is a doublet, then I'd be wary of grinding, going by discussions on the opal forum.

I know this a old thread and I may me too late. I would strongly suggest that you do not attempt to grind a doublet, I think it would not be successful, why not bake a basket setting and claw set it

Quote Originally Posted by china View Post
    I know this a old thread and I may me too late. I would strongly suggest that you do not attempt to grind a doublet, I think it would not be successful, why not bake a basket setting and claw set it
    Thanks for replying. The customer specifically wants it bezel set. I've still not set it yet, though I've made the piece and sent it for hallmarking.

My problem at the moment is that I've had a succession of retinal tears over the last few weeks which meant 3 lots of laser surgery, followed last week by cryosurgery. I'm now left with very blurry vision for a few weeks and I'm not confident to do the setting. I'm hoping my customer will wait for a bit.

Sorry to hear about that Carole. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope you are not feeling too down Dennis.

Oh Carole - that all sounds very unpleasant. I dread anything happening to my eyes Hope it all heals up as it should and you can take the opportunity to get a bit of a rest.

Thanks George and Dennis. We all think we'd like a good excuse to do nothing, yet when it happens, we can't wait to get back to work.