Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting project

Default Casting project

Hi I am starting my new module (multiple production) in january and the project is casting I don't know the precise details but we have been told we will be using milliput and making a repeatable unit that should link together in a clever way... So I began my research but have been uninspired so far everything seems to be linked with jump rings... So my question is whether anyone can advise a book or online resource or anything that I should look at for inspiration? Thanks x

How about something from nature like this Snake Vertebrae Bracelet http://www.philippaholland.co.uk/v/v...s/HS0811-2.jpg

Inspiration for me comes from visiting galleries and exhibitions throughout the year, looking a fashion magazines and staring at people on buses, but rarely from books. I also think of something on waking in the morning, so the brain if any, is at work during the night.

The idea is not to copy, but to take what you see as a starting point. Basically cast repeat patterns have a theme, such as a leaf, a fleur-de-lys, a frog, or whatever takes your interest. To link them without using jump rings, which are rather frowned on, you can have a partly curved tongue at one end of the unit which passes under it and into a slot in the next one.

To connect, you close it underneath and out of sight.

Being lazy I try not to overreach myself with projects, but just go for visual impact. As you see, they are soon forgotten and then you have to concentrate on the next one. Dennis.

As there is no one around, I would add that the joints for a bracelet need only allow it to surround the wrist.
    For a necklace they need to allow sideways movement so as not to restrict the drape more than intended.
    Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    So my question is whether anyone can advise a book or online resource or anything that I should look at for inspiration? Thanks x
    I find Pinterest handy for seeing what people have done with a certain idea. The hard part is 'unseeing' things so as not to copy if that makes sense.

I'd love to know what course you're doing, it sounds amazing.

Vos
    Last edited by Vos; 17-12-2014 at 08:23 PM.
    All the gear and no idea

Thanks Paul I was looking at something similar earlier 😊

Thanks Dennis (again ) yeah I'm always looking and I definitely don't want to copy I'm just after something to give my brain something to work on. I've had a couple of ideas today that I'll draw up and play with.

Vos I am at the school of jewellery (Birmingham) studying jewellery and silversmithing (HND).

😊

I always liked the idea of elephants linking trunk to tail

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Vos I am at the school of jewellery (Birmingham) studying jewellery and silversmithing (HND).

OK, now I'm jealous.

Ironically one of my fave repeating links is very similar to Paul's http://store02.prostores.com/tribale...log/181-16.JPG or of course there is retro kitschness...

Ok, I'll go now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails barrel_of_monkeys.jpg  
    Last edited by Vos; 18-12-2014 at 12:45 AM.
    All the gear and no idea

Quote Originally Posted by Vos View Post
    I find Pinterest handy for seeing what people have done with a certain idea. The hard part is 'unseeing' things so as not to copy if that makes sense.
    Vos
    Next you will have to unlearn what you have learned, young silver jedi

Wow great thanks. I know that worries me a little unseeing what I have seen but I need a starting point so I will draw what I see and see what I can come up with ...rather exciting actually well I think so anyway ha ha 😊