Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swage problems

Default Swage problems

Hello

I am a bit stuck as to how to swage two small pieces of Guilding metal ... They are 0.9mm thick, 50mm long, 20mm wide at one end and 4mm wide the other ... I tried to shape them in a swage block today and cant get the smaller (4mm) end to form at all... Need them to curve so I can put them together to make a swaged tube I'm making for my insect. Any advice please? Thanks V

If I understand correctly what you are wanting to do, the small end of the cone will have a circumference of 8mm (2 x 4mm).
    Therefore the external diameter will only be about 2.5mm, the gauge is 0.9mm, so the internal diameter is about 0.7mm.
    Are you swaging it with tools of about those dimensions, the figures are a bit rough and ready, or perhaps (probably), I've misunderstood you.

Well I suppose it could be called a cone but its more like a tapered tube ... I have two pieces of metal that I've cut out... They both measure 20mm at the base and 4mm at the top and it is 5 cm high which fits my design. I just want to know how to curve the smaller end in the swage block... I apologise if my dimensions don't sound right I'm a student in my first term and I am learning as I go along...
    Oh dear I don't know about the inner and outer dimensions of the swage tube that I want to make - but I know the metal I am using is 0.9mm thick and that I want it to be an ellipse shape tube that tapers at the other end. Later on I will be cutting wedges out of the tube, bending and soldering to make segments for my project.

I thought I would ask on here so that I can go into uni tomorrow and get on and finish my project. But I don't know if I can make myself clear in words. 😡 I've made a swaged ellipse tube before (we didn't check dimensions just got it looking right) but it was all one width and we stick soldered them together. I'll wait I think and speak to a tutor tomorrow. But thank you for looking at my question.😊

Rereading what you have said ... Yes inner dimension would be about that on the smaller end so how do I curve it in a swage block when the other end is much bigger without marking the metal??

Good question, wish I knew the correct way, I'd be interested to hear how it should be done.
    I'd probably try and fudge it using round pliers, sandbag or wood block.
    I have had no proper training though, school of youtube!
    I don't think it will be simple however you approach it.
    If you make it out of paper first it may give you an idea of what you are up against.

I think I would probably describe it as a cone with the end cut off and I would have tried making it in one piece and forming it around a fine triblet. The dimension at the narrow end will make it difficult though. Swathe blocks aren't really ideal for making a taper. I will be interested to hear what your tutor suggests. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by CJ57 View Post
    I think I would probably describe it as a cone with the end cut off .....
    Well, I was going to write' truncated cone' but I decided it sounded a bit poncey

Quote Originally Posted by trialuser View Post
    Well, I was going to write' truncated cone' but I decided it sounded a bit poncey
    I find it really difficult to describe things, Poncey is good it's also really hard to describe how you'd do something, I'm more of a show than tell!

Thanks both... I will be finding out today. It all works in paper but I tried yesterday with metal and discovered problems... Problems are good so long as there is a solution and having problems with construction gives me something to write about ... I'll let you know what he suggests. Thanks both 😊

Hi Vanessa,

I shall be interested to hear the solution too!! As you've identified, if you use a swage block you are going to mark the metal as it gets wider.

I think that Caroline's and trial user's suggestions of triblet and sandbag would work and a combination of the two would probably be best. The only alternative I can think of is to either make a purpose made forming block of your own, I've done this out of a lump of fine grained wood, for doming larger ovals, alternatively, making the shape and forming it in a lead cake.

Good luck!!