Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Swage problems

Thanks Dennis I wont 😊. I think I over filed the bottom of him to get a nice shape then put him in the ultrasonic and it burned a hole in him - I don't really understand no one has been able to explain. Sigh. I made a cap and bifold rivet to cover the hole but it was a hideous repair 😞. I am devastated it happened I'd made a space for him in the display cabinet at home and everything sigh. I'll post a pic of the hole the ultrasonic made I don't have a pic of the repair.

Hole in the bottom of my insect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WP_20141210_001.jpg  

Thanks Tabby. I feel a bit silly most of the group are younger than me and I was the one trying hard not to let the tears flow... I was exhausted I'd been working from 8am to 8pm without break and then 9.30 to 1.30 almost every day to get him and all the drawings finished and then my reward was the damage that occurred. 😢 but I think I was exhausted... I know I was. I enjoyed the hours I put in I loved working on my project but hate the end result. I really wanted a merit or even a distinction but I think I will be lucky for a pass. My next project will be different. Its wax carving next I think- I've never worked in wax before so I don't have expectations of greatness ha ha

Vanessa, I love love your insect design. Can't believe it's the first time you've done a presentation drawing btw. I hope once you get over the disappointment you decide to remake him - he really deserves to be made to your original design (or perhaps a baby sister for him?) and you were doing so well. Can't believe how many new skills you have learned in such a short time. Try not to be too disheartened - and like Tabby says, do take pictures.

Looking forward very much to seeing your next project come to life.

Susie

Oh Vanessa what a shame
    Im sure stuff like this happens to all of us though, you aren't alone.
    Would it not be possible to solder a piece of sheet over the hole and file it to match?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
    Hole in the bottom of my insect.
    My reading is that the copper was already excessively thin, due to the doming process and that the metal disintegrated under the ultrasonic forces.

It would be easy enough to repair by sweating on a domed disk or oval, unless the thinness is so extensive that the remainder buckles when heated. Dennis.

Hi Dennis... Well when I bring him home I'm going to try and remove the thin metal and solder on a cap if possible, but it might be a lost cause. I might just remake him in the future with all the knowledge I have learnt... Perhaps over the summer, trying to remake him over the Xmas holiday with all the visitors I'm expecting isn't going to work and the new project has begun at uni... That's a separate thread! But I cant believe I am considering remaking him because Thursday last week I was devastated with the monstrosity I had created and swore he'd be ceremoniously chucked in the metal skip! Vx

Thought I would share my ecstatic news... I got a high merit for the entire module which includes the insect (high merit awarded) and the ring and shapes (distinction awarded) and drawing and design (merit)! I cant believe it and I've been asked to keep working on him! I very nearly fell off my chair when I was told this morning. My tutor was surprised when I told him I was convinced I'd failed! 😃 😊 it's just sinking in....!

I don't care who you are you should aways look for positives in your work and leave the negatives for everyone else.

Well done Vannessa

Carlton
    Last edited by Moon Willow; 18-12-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Be careful what you wish for.......... It might come true

Well done Vanessa don't throw it way, I thought the construction process was amazing. You will eventually find a use for it or the part that you like and it may even turn into something better. We all have trays of bits we saw as failures and I recently used a piece 20 years later! I call it serendipity