Thread: New ring idea

Default New ring idea

Far from perfect, but here's something I made today following an idea I had for a ring. Simple design, but that's kind of my style as most people on here know by now.

The centre part is solid silver ( not tube ) and has a Rhodolite Garnet flush set into it. Still trying to master flush setting but I'm slowly getting there the more I do.

Cheers,

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lovely design Nick :0
    Only one small thing, is the silver over the stone at the top? It looks as if it may not be but obviously not always easy to tell from a pic.
    I have good and bad days with flush setting still, sometimes it works really easily straight off but if it doesn't then its a nightmare!

BTW I love how you have photographed it too, whats the base? and what set up are you using?

Thankyou. The metal is over the stone at the top, it's just the way the photos taken ( ie above the ring and looking down, so you can't see under the edge ).

Dead simple light setup..

The base is simply a shiny black cardboard box ( outer ) for a wooden necklace box. Then I set my camera up on a tripod dead centre, slightly above the ring angled down, and have two off camera flashes mounted on stands left and right. Both are angled down at 45 degrees and the light is diffused.

The camera is a Canon DSLR with a 100mm 2.8L Macro lens which is fantastic for such shots.

Nick

I like the design Nick but I presume you decided to carve the setting from silver to achieve a thicker tube. There is joint tubing, intended for hinges, that is thick and might suit in the future.

Also those of us lucky enough to have a draw-bench can draw down larger tubing to make it smaller and thicker.

Anyhow, back to your ring: will you sell it on Knot On The High Street? Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Actually the main reason for using solid silver rod for the stone was because of how I constructed the ring and not thickness issues.

I didnt want to join the twisted wire on the two sections above and below the ring, so instead I joined the ring at the back and then made the join invisible of course.

I actually soldered the correct sized rod in place ( between the two straight bits of wire ) prior to beginning to twist it all in a vice. This way I could be sure of achieving a central position, and it would also have been impossible to do otherwise without soldering at the front.

I'd tried this earlier using a tube but the tension created by the twisting action crushed the tube and deformed it, hence deciding to use solid silver.

Top marks on the N.O.T.H.S gag... very good

Nick