Thread: Possibly dumb ringstick question

Default Possibly dumb ringstick question

Hi all, very basic question. I bought this ring stick the other day but am slightly confused by the alignment of the ring sizes. While some of the other scales line up with the 'etched' lines around the stick, the english letter sizes don't. If you look at P,Q and R for example, P is on a line and R is half way between two.

So is this misprinted? Is it possibly meant for a different market primarily, with English sizes merely added for comparison, or am I (more likely) being an idiot?

Cheers

Vos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20141123_175040.jpg  
    All the gear and no idea

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I a guessing that what you have there is a US/UK sizing stick - nice to have

the lines next to the numbers may occasionally match, but as a whole, they are independently graded sizes.

the UK matching will need to be over the top of the letters, rather than lines

I reckon you've got a stick to beat you with Vos. It will do some conversions for you as our Wallace says, but in the UK if you have a Wheatsheaf stick, you will be speaking the same laguage as other Wheatsheaf owners all over the country.

That said I have still taken a disk and marked half sizes on mine. Dennis.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

I have a Wheatsheaf, an aluminium thing that came with my foredom and a heavy duty thing I believe I purchased from Cookson's 10 years ago! (can't see one listed any more). I use my heavy duty one ALL the time. It is accurate (along with the ring sizing grid) and it also takes a whack or many for forming and sizing up some shanks.

Thanks for input. To be sure in myself I think I'll return this in exchange for a wheatsheaf. I'd sooner be on the same songsheet as everyone else

Thanks for help folks

Vos
    All the gear and no idea

There is no such thing as the same song sheet as your customers though lol
    Ive taken to always sending a plastic ring gauge out to mine now which works ok although the best way is if you can get them to actually try on metal rings, just doesn't work so well if they are all over the globe.