Thread: Steel shot

Default Steel shot

Hi all,
    Need help,Where to buy a steel shot without the sharp bit?Thank you

Steel shot comes in balls, satellites and needles. The problem is that if you have mixed shot with needles, you will tend to get pinpricks on any smooth flat surfaces, but not so noticeably on textures.

If you omit the needles many crevices will remain untreated and look dull. I bought my shot separately from Suttons, mixed it, and then spent a long time removing the needles and blunting them manually.

Manchester minerals are said to have well finished needles in their mixture, but the problem remains to some extent.

Tumblers are not ideal for finishing, but an easy option. Sometimes you can re-sand the flat bits afterwards and finish those with Micro-Mesh, giving you the best of both worlds. Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis; 23-11-2014 at 07:13 PM.

dear old Blighty - (in deepest Wiltshire)

you can purchase a variety of different single types from Cousins. They have a mix without the pins too. Here is the LINK

@dennis,yes i'm having that prick problem,so every time i need a mirror shine result i need to remove the sharp pin 1 by 1 took me ages to do it.

Yes, you will note, that I learned my lesson too late and had to sort my shot. Now I keep two sets.

As well as that I dropped a barrel of shot (luckily dry), many weeks ago. Despite scanning the room with a strong magnet, some balls are still appearing from under the skirtings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails n Sorting Shot On A Tea Tray.jpg  

I really need to get a new set,cleaning my pendant yesterday,my balls rolled everywhere..lol