Thread: Allergies

Default Allergies

Hi
    I have a customer who is allergic to sterling silver therefore I thought I would use reflections fine silver and look for a cable in fine silver or stainless steel. She wants something like the Omega chain on Cooksons. They don't do it in anything other than sterling. Can anyone offer advice on allergies or other suppliers? I have look on Palmers metal but am not getting very far.

Reflections is not fine silver, Reflections is a tarnish-resistant sterling with germanium.
    I wouldn't commit to anything without getting her to specify which materials she can cope with. If she's allergic to sterling, I'd be cautious about stainless.

Platinum or 18k might be better in terms of allergic reactions.

One way forward might be to test for sensitivity by taping a small sample to the inside of a forearm. She will already have suitable plasters from past experience.

Check for redness say, every three or for hours. Discontinue at once if irritation is felt. If no reaction appears after eight hours, try again in a week, to see whether an new sensitivity has developed.

If not, it should be safe to proceed.

Dennis.

I had an e-mail from a very irate customer yesterday who wanted a refund and compensation because his girlfriend's finger had blistered after wearing my ring and it couldn't possibly be silver. I explained that the ring is hallmarked and there would be no compensation. I haven't heard any more.

My mother ended up with a very bad burn under her wedding ring a few years back. Nothing to do with the metal, more to do with grabbing a handful of fertiliser from a sack to distribute it and getting some trapped under the ring.
    Last edited by ps_bond; 17-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Mmm, I guess I'll never know.

I've had success with fine silver with a very allergic customer. But it has to be pure silver. not one of the anti tarnish sterling variants.
    Even soap -or just water - can be a problem if left under a broad ring
    Also check if the person is really allergic to sterling...if they have been buying American import or cheap low end Chinese it might be nickel
    Author: Pearls A Practical Guide
    www.pearlsapractical.guide
    www.Pearlescence.co.uk

In my case, he said his girlfriend "has several other silver rings and hasn't reacted to them". I'm assuming those rings must be rhodium plated.

could even be nickel plated, which although you're not allowed to sell here, may well have come in from abroad or bought abroad, or bought online?

is it actually possible to be allergic to EU sterling though? I mean we ~need~ copper in our bodies to function and pure silver might react with the acid on the skin, but that isn't the same as an allergy. I get that some sterling alloys from other countries contain nickel which could be a problem, but if it's nickel free?