Thread: HELP! Polishing stones already set?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default HELP! Polishing stones already set?

Hi all,

Massive cock-up!!... Just finished setting 3 small smooth cabs into a ring and managed to run a 3M disc across all three small stones and consequently gave them a matte dull finish on one side....

So, HELP! Can I polish the stones in place, somehow? Diamond paste on a felt or something like that? I have never polished stones before so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't really want to have to start the ring from scratch...

Any sources for polish pastes would be fab too, if you know any!

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

You can always pop down and use my new gadget Carin, though I appreciate it's a long way to come.

It did actually cross my mind, Carole! Bit of a long way to go though, as you said. What does your JoolTool use to polish stones? Are they 3M brushes or something else?

I am also dying to know more about how you get on with it, perhaps you could post an update to that other post when you get a chance?

Carin
    Carin Lindberg

Camali Design
    www.camalidesign.com

I usually use Polygold2000 as a first try for dulled stones. They are small impregnated felt wheels, which you mount on a mandrel with a screw. The sellers are mostly German, but there is a good choice of suppliers..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Po...=polygold+2000

Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by camalidesign View Post
    It did actually cross my mind, Carole! Bit of a long way to go though, as you said. What does your JoolTool use to polish stones? Are they 3M brushes or something else?

I am also dying to know more about how you get on with it, perhaps you could post an update to that other post when you get a chance?

Carin
    I haven't got it screwed down yet Carin, so I haven't been able to try it out properly for polishing. I'm not really sure what attachments are needed to polish stones. I'll have another look at the video. I will say though that for cleaning off sprues and grinding down the edges of things like rings and bangles, it's excellent and I use it all the time. I love that I can see my piece while I grind it.

Steve and I have both had the lurgy and we haven't done the polishing worktop yet. Hopefully this weekend we can get it all sorted.

I've done a very small amount of stone carving using wooden & hard felt wheels with diamond pastes (bought on the cheap from EBay). If Hans chips in on this he'll be able to contribute more.

I use diamond pastes from Manchester minerals on my stone carvings to finish them, with those I go, 60, 30, 16, 3, 1 on felt bobs but not sure what you would use to start, probably depends how deep the scratching is.