Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing.....I may have found the holy grail....

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I do have some of the finger skins available if anyone wants some or you can get them from rio grande as well if you wish to purchase other supplies. It will be approximately 30-40 days before Cooksongold & companies take delivery.

I am always open to feed back so that I can refine the best product possible for the needs of the craftspeople.

Artisans that do a lot of small file work and Graver work have also reported that they give excellent protection along with almost full dexterity.

So,
    What different tasks have you people used them for so far?

Thanks.
    Laurence

Hi Laurence,
    Good to see you here!!!!

I've just emailed you following delivery of my rhino finger skins on Thursday,.....as you can see, I was (am) impressed!!! I posted my delight on the forum before getting around to replying to you about them.....apologies!!!

Great to hear that Cookies will be stocking them!!

Best wishes,
    Jill

I don't think that I'll ever find anything that will protect my fingers when I'm polishing small items as they heat up so quickly. I need something thick enough to protect my fingers, yet still giving me good grip. The Rhinoskins are good for larger items though. I wonder whether kevlar or silicon would work?

I can't wear gloves at all so I just have several pieces to do at once and switch from one to another when they get hot.

Quote Originally Posted by caroleallen View Post
    I don't think that I'll ever find anything that will protect my fingers when I'm polishing small items as they heat up so quickly. I need something thick enough to protect my fingers, yet still giving me good grip. The Rhinoskins are good for larger items though. I wonder whether kevlar or silicon would work?
    Caroleallen,
    I don't see Kevlar giving you any touch sensation but am always interested in hearing how products work. Please let me know if you find a Kevlar product?

Could you possibly post a picture so I can see how small these little items are? Put a small measuring steel next to them for size? You are able to do rings and such on a grinding/polishing, with the Rhino Skins,correct?

There are lots of little things - pendants and earrings which measure from 15mm to 25mm and are mainly flat. Rings aren't a problem.

I dont have a problem with heat, most of my stuff is hand polished, i.e with a cloth and silver polish, because mine is only a hobby, but I find that my fingers get filed, ouch. I will give them a try when Cookies stock them, but I wont need hundreds, a couple would last me for years.

a little bit of learning to share.......so having used the skins for a few (3 major) polishing sessions (bench polisher with calico mops and menzerna), and a couple of buffing sessions, (with a roll of 600 grit or finer buff paper in a foredoom hand piece) and pieces ranging from approx 10mmx10mm to 35x20mm.....

firstly (and having checked with Laurence)....the skins are made for heat resistance.....not buffing or filing away.....though I did use them for heat resistance in the buffing process, inevitably the skins came in to contact with the buff paper....that wears them!!!

In terms of heat resistance they are second to none, I would also say the same in terms of dexterity Sarah,.....I have never used anything other than a bit of tape (very occasionally)on my fingers, in fact I have been rather anti due to the dexterity issues that I have experienced with a variety of products over the years,...but I was so fed up with bleeding thumb and finger tips recently that I decided to try these.....

they are most definitely the best I have ever tried, I have needed to adjust the position of the seam for the smaller more intricate items, these items are definitely more difficult, but I found that if I do a few, it becomes much easier!!

Another session of the teeny items tomorrow,.....will let you know how I get on!!!!!!

Tabby xx