Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Making a lapiz cab ring

I was going to suggest getting a benchmate system to help with your strength issues, It`s a really helpful thing to have & way better than handheld clamps.

I think that my whole set-up could do with re-doing I have quite a few nice tools now but my bench is an old office desk, so is about 2 mtrs long but unsupported apart from the end panels and the back panel, the front is not supported at all apart from the end panels and it flexes as its chipboard, so cant hammer anything on it unless I do it over the end panel. If i am to continue to use it i think putting panels either side of my cut-out would give extra support and stop the top from moving. But a bad workman blames his tools so.................................

Get a new bench made & fit a benchmate & thank me later.
    At the moment your not doing yourself any favours with your setup & it doesn't suprise me your having issues.

I agree with Chris, bench stability is a must. Although I do not have a benchmate, they look great but as I am now retired I am trying to get rid of tools rather than buying new ones.
    This is my method of supporting the rings I make for my daughter, when setting the stones. I place the ring on a steel ring mandrel, sit it on a leather sandbag, like one of these; http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery...FSQXwwodCDQAgg then the ring is steady enough to hammer or push the bezel over. My pusher is homemade, it is a length of copper rod filed to shape and set in a graver handle. If I am going to hammer a large bezel I use a chasing hammer with a wooden punch, I actually make my own punches from hardwood rods or if desperate I have used half a wooden clothes peg as a punch. On smaller settings I use a Faro hammerhead attachment on my flexshaft pendant drill.

James

Pat you could make your existing bench a bit more secure by adding a sheet of 18mm. or thicker plywood sheet across the bench top, this is how I strengthened my workbench. It's looking a bit worn now but you can see where I added a layer of plywood on top of my old bench on this photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38- Hammers and tools.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	6609

James

If you can renew, avoid chipboard.
    What's probably happening is all your energy pushing bezels is being sucked away by the flexing bench.
    That's why your wanting ultra thin metal & filing knife edges..you'll solve all that with a decent solid bench & clamp system.

Well finished the ring at least I am not doing any more to it. What do you guys think, constructive critism please. Still think bezel looks "chewed".
    It doesnt rock though, absolutely solid. I didnt realise you could hammer things like a bezel, will use that idea again, perhaps with a piece of wood rather than the metal pusher.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140919_145345.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	6613
    Last edited by Patstone; 19-09-2014 at 02:25 PM.

It`s not that bad, but you file your knife edge too much..you want abit more thickness.
    If you insist on filing that thin, then buff the top a little after just to get it smooth.

Just wanted to say thank you to James for such a neat demonstration!

Quote Originally Posted by enigma View Post
    Just wanted to say thank you to James for such a neat demonstration!
    Thank you for the nice comment Sarah, I see on your website that you are into making horse jewellery. I have only made one riding based item in my career, it was a dressage whip handle for a Greek racehorse owner. I did make a wax model of a horse head for a Knight chess piece way back in history, but it never got cast.

James